Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Durban Light Infantry 3 years 6 months ago #71818

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Here's one of mine - Natal Medal w/clasp 1906 to Alfred Peters (PTE: A. PETERS, DURBAN LIGHT INFANTRY), British War Medal (28789 SJT A. PETERS. N.Z.E.F.), Victory Medal (28789 SJT A. PETERS. N.Z.E.F.). Peters was wounded 18th October 1917 during the campaign at Passchendaele. He was born in Bolton, Lancashire in 1877 and died in New Zealand in 1965. Oddly the medals came with badges to the DURHAM light infantry. I assume these has been added by someone at some stage who perhaps misread the Natal Medal.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Durban Light Infantry 3 years 6 months ago #71829

• mike rowan
  • Thank you received: 88
Nice group. A few Durham Light Infantry badges were also worn by the Durban Light Infantry. Probably a cost saving measure or a particularly sharp badge salesman. Post some pics ( front and back views)
Mike

Medals to the Durban Light Infantry 3 years 6 months ago #71830

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I believe the original cap badges when worn by that particular regiment, from their inception, were actually identical in their manufacture, all supplied to the Natal Volunteers and Militia from their manufacturer here.
Regards Frank

mike rowan wrote: Nice group. A few Durham Light Infantry badges were also worn by the Durban Light Infantry. Probably a cost saving measure or a particularly sharp badge salesman. Post some pics ( front and back views)
Mike

Medals to the Durban Light Infantry 3 years 5 months ago #72286

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (2) Natal, Transvaal (874 Pte C. [sic] Elliott. Durban L.I.);
Natal (1) 1906 (Tpr: C. E. Elliott, Natal Police.)

Served between 1 December 1899 and June 1901.

QSA verified. On the roll for the Natal Medal.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Durban Light Infantry 3 years 4 months ago #73612

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4507

Picture courtesy of Spink

DCM GV (Sapr. R. Currie. S A, Eng; Corps.);
QSA (3) Transvaal, Relief of Ladysmith, Orange Free State (745 Pte. R. Currie. Durban L. I.);
1914-15 Star (Sjt R. Currie S.A.E.C.);
BWM and VM (Sjt R. Currie. S.A.S.C.);
Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service (I. 7299. Sgt. R. Currie. 11th Inf. (Rand Lt. Inf.))

DCM LG 22 August 1918:

'During the reconstruction of the line a number of land mines were found laid in the formation. Between (…) and (…) 16 mines were discovered; only two of them exploded, each slightly injuring one native. Lieut Sutherland on my staff found 9 mines and Sapper Currie S.A.E.C. also removed 9 mines. I recommend them both for some consideration for spotting and removing these hidden death traps. Duty calling for courage of a high order.'

Robert Currie served with the Durban Light Infantry during the Boer War, where they saw action during Relief of Ladysmith during the course this campaign they participated in the Battle of Colenso. Several members of the regiment were also present at the armoured train whose seizure on 15 November 1899 saw Winston Churchill taken prisoner.

After the war Currie remained with the Colonial Auxiliaries, transitioning to the 11 (Rand) Light Infantry and receiving a promotion to Sergeant; it was here also that he relieved his Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal after over twenty years of service.

At the outbreak of the Great War he joined the South African Engineers Corps and participated in the Campaign in German South West Africa. In the course of this he was awarded with the Distinguished Conduct Medal for his role in mine clearance. However he began to suffer from ill health, finally diagnosed as malaria and was discharged, being labelled unfit for tropical service but only temporarily unfit for non-tropical service
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Durban Light Infantry 3 years 6 days ago #75886

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180

Colonial Auxiliary Forces Officer's Decoration
CAPT W .P.M.HENDERSON 1ST INF. (D.L.I.)

Queen's South Africa Medal, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal
CAPT : W.P.M. HENDERSON DURBAN L.I.

Natal Rebellion Medal, 1906
CAPT W.P.M. HENDERSON DURBAN LIGHT INFANTRY

1914-15 Star
MAJ W.P.M. HENDERSON 1ST INFANTRY

1914-18 War Medal
MAJ W.P.M. HENDERSON

Victory Medal Bilingual
MAJ W.P.M. HENDERSON

Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal
CAPT W.P.M. HENDERSON 1ST INF (DURB.L.INF)

William Plowman Moyese Henderson was born on 27th September 1871 in Rochester, England.

We find him appointed as an Lieutenant in 1898 in the Durban Light Infantry. He served throughout the South African War with the Regiment.
He would command E Coy, D.L.I. during the 1906 Bambata Rebellion.

For many years he was the Town Clerk of Durban and it was whilst in this position that he compliled and edited "Durban, 50 Years Municipal History", a definitive history of early Durban, a book still being reprinted today for scholars.

During WW1 he served with the 1st Battalion, D.L.I. before being seconded to assist in recruiting for the 2nd Battalion, where he was appointed as Second-in-Command with the rank of Major.

There are numerous photographs and references to him in the D.L.I History, Volume 1.

We also find him on the Electricity Supply Commission board in 1948.

A distinguished man who made his mark in South Africa died in Durban 28th December 1953.

Of the 1532 awards to Colonial officers and men, only 271 would receive both the Medal and the Decoration.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, jim51, gavmedals

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.636 seconds