Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Farmer's Guard 8 years 2 months ago #44613

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi Rory
A very short snippet about the unit:

The Farmer’s Guard (formerly known as the Burgher Police) was formed in November 1901 from surrendered burghers who had to enlist for a 3 month period at a pay of 5/- per day. They were responsible for the safety of surrendered burghers who were farming in the so-called “protected area” surrounding Bloemfontein.

They did not have anything to do with the Orange River Colony Volunteers : the ORCV was the Free State equivalent of the National Scouts in the Transvaal.

Henk
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Farmer's Guard 8 years 2 months ago #44614

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
Thank you Frank and Henk

My query related to this chap whose post you have already probably seen.

angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-awar...hed-to-farmers-guard
Regards

Rory

Medals to the Farmer's Guard 8 years 2 months ago #44651

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Henk,
I have to stand by my post and all it's content, although, I certainly think that I should have perhaps used the phase "attested in the manner of" rather than "as" however, notwithstanding the memoranda that I had read at Kew some two and a half decades ago, I do remember some snippets in both the Dominion Office and Colonial Office series that went into some detail regarding both their initial formation, their terms and conditions, in particular, the issue of their proposed payment and subsequent "claims" made by some of their number upon HM Government after Vereeniging.
I was very interested to hear that they were all surrendered burgers, that makes me look upon those in my collection in a whole new light, I always thought a very high proportion of them were, but, I had no idea that they all were, every last one of them
May I ask where that particular information came from?
Kind regards Frank

Henk Loots wrote: Hi Rory
A very short snippet about the unit:

The Farmer’s Guard (formerly known as the Burgher Police) was formed in November 1901 from surrendered burghers who had to enlist for a 3 month period at a pay of 5/- per day. They were responsible for the safety of surrendered burghers who were farming in the so-called “protected area” surrounding Bloemfontein.

They did not have anything to do with the Orange River Colony Volunteers : the ORCV was the Free State equivalent of the National Scouts in the Transvaal.

Henk

Medals to the Farmer's Guard 8 years 2 months ago #44665

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Indeed, I had seen it Rory, read it and posted in the thread, some time ago, a very nice medal that is too!

Rory wrote: Thank you Frank and Henk

My query related to this chap whose post you have already probably seen.

angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-awar...hed-to-farmers-guard
Regards

Rory

Medals to the Farmer's Guard 7 years 5 months ago #49305

• Rory
An update to this post - I have acquired a QSA correctly named to the Farmer's Guard to 9 Pte. M. Perreira with clasps Orange Free State and SA 1901 and 1902. What makes this medal all the more interesting (given the comments by both Frank and Henk elsewhere in this post) is that the QSA is accompanied by Perreira's WWI pair - to the 1st Cape Coloured Labour Regiment.

This is not exactly an unheard of circumstance - the colour lines were very often blurred and a chap's racial classification was very often in the eyes of the beholder. Perreira, which is of mostly Portuguese origin, was most likely olive-skinned and deemed to be white enough during the Boer War for a silver QSA but too dark to be in anything but the CCL in WWI.

Just to confuse matters... I also have his son's WWII medals and here he served with the Prince Alfred Guard - the family were deemed to be European again on this occasion.

I'll post photos once my PC is up and running - I'm having to use my better half's at the moment.

Regards

Rory

Medals to the Farmer's Guard 7 years 5 months ago #49307

• Rory
Herewith some pics of the group

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Brett Hendey

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.694 seconds