Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Imperial Light Horse - CH Russell - looking for attestation papers 5 years 2 months ago #62243

• rdarby
  • rdarby's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Hi

I have a group to 185 Corp Christopher Henry Russell, of the 1st Imperial Light Horse. His has a DCM, BSAC Medal QSA. Based on LG searches he was mentioned by White after Ladysmith and then later got the DCM. It is possibly for Ladysmith but there is no way to prove it.

I know that he later became a Sgt then a Lt.

I believe the attestation papers are available as WO126, but these have not been digitised on the NA site. Does anyone know if anyone has copies of these, else I will see about a researcher.

The interesting thing is that the ILH were very busy at Ladysmith and quite a few of those who received the DCM are mentioned in Gibson's The Story of the Imperial Light Horse. Unfortunately it has no index so after reading all the way through I may have missed him but I don't think so. His bars are Relief of Mafeking, Elandslaagte, Defence of Mafeking and Transvaal. So the DCM could have been for anything.

If anyone know of any sources to look at for the ILH I would appreciate the input please.

Cheers
Ryan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Imperial Light Horse - CH Russell - looking for attestation papers 5 years 2 months ago #62244

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Hi Ryan

As you know this site has the papers to initial B (I think) - for all others I have always made use of Kevin Asplin in the UK to get me the papers from Kew.

Regards

Rory

Imperial Light Horse - CH Russell - looking for attestation papers 5 years 2 months ago #62245

• rdarby
Thanks Rory I will contact Kevin.

Imperial Light Horse - CH Russell - looking for attestation papers 5 years 2 months ago #62247

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Ryan

I am sure you have seen the entry in Abbott's DCM register for Russell that says the award was for the defence of Ladysmith, but he provides no reference to back that up.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Imperial Light Horse - CH Russell - looking for attestation papers 5 years 2 months ago #62264

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4508
Ryan,

His first MID is from General White on 23 March 1900 so a DoL links looks likely.

angloboerwar.com/other-information/16-ot...s-in-despatches-army

I have quite a few attestation papers on disc but the ILI/ILH only goes as far as Li unfortunately.
Dr David Biggins

Imperial Light Horse - CH Russell - looking for attestation papers 5 years 2 months ago #62265

• rdarby
Thanks David. I have emailed Kevin Asplin but not reply yet.

Do you know of any roll that lists which squadron each man was in? I could at least then work out where he was physically likely to be.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.657 seconds