Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77479

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2300
...."Our West Scottsdale correspondent wrote yesterday:-
....On Saturday last our representative, Mr. A. V. Dyer, left here to report himself at headquarters, Hobart, for the bushmen's corps, and yesterday I was shown a telegram saying he had been accepted. On Saturday, on leaving per train at Scottsdale, a number of friends wished him God-speed and safe return. When the train arrived at Lietinna station he received another hearty farewell. In Launceston he was entertained by a few friends, who, at the short notice of Mr. Dyer going away, got a very beautiful gold pin, a sword set with pearls, and presented it to him. Mr. Scott, of the mounted police, Scottsdale: Mr.J. Bush, Wyena; Mr. P. Manion, Beaconsfield; and Mr. Corcoran, of Launceston: were those who arranged the presentation.
....Mr. Dyer, who arrived in the colony from Hawke's Bay (N.Z.), with his parents 20 years ago (when he was only an infant), has been reared in the bush at West Scottsdale, where he has had plenty of riding in rough country, which will stand him in good stead in South Africa. He is a splendid horseman, and for some years was a member of the Dorset No. 1 Volunteer Corps, so that there was no mistake made by the Commandant in selecting him for the contingent."
The Examiner [Launceston], Friday 16th February 1900

...."Joining South African Constabulary within next few days, Corp. J. B. Stanworth, Troopers H. M. Hood, A. Hamilton, W. Sweeney, A. Tolman, A. V. Dyer."
The Mercury [Hobart], Tuesday 25th December 1900

RETURNED TROOPER.
SCOTTSDALE, Friday.......
....On Wednesday a social was tendered to Trooper A. V. Dyer, lately returned from South Africa. The evening being fine brought out a good attendance. A fine collection of curiosities from South Africa were shown, including a complete set of coins, horns of different kinds, skins, parts of shells, etc. In making the presentation of an illuminated address to Trooper Dyer, the chairman (Mr. J. R. Rule) spoke of the good work done by the various Tasmanian contingents, and mentioned that out of 51 Tasmanians who received five clasps three were from Scottsdale. He also gave a resume of the work done by the reception committee, and as all had returned excepting Lieutenant Lowther it was decided by the committee to make provision for the cost of an illuminated address for him, and hand the balance of the fund, viz., £3 10s, over to the Warburton fund. This announcement was received with hearty approval from all present.
....Trooper Dyer suitably replied, and cheers were given for the returned trooper, finishing up with a supper and the singing of "God Save the King."
The Examiner [Launceston], Saturday 29th June 1901
The following user(s) said Thank You: FSburgher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to 2nd TASMANIAN IMPERIAL BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77484

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Evyn
I assume you have at hand a QSA medal named to "1445 Tpr. G.McMahon, NSW Bushmen" and bearing the clasps CC, Drief, Joh, Dia.Hill. At the outset, I would point out that those clasps are associated with the early NSW Contingents (Lancers, 1AH, 1NSWMR) - and not with the Bushmen (NSWCB, 6NSWIB or 3NSWIB).
The OZ-Boer source does show "1445 Tpr. G.McMahon", reinforcements, 3NSWIB (from The Mole, Warren district, NSW) sailing from Sydney on 1/4/02 - and apparently that man cited 15 months previous service with 6NSWIB. Unfortunately, there is no "G.MacMahon/G.McMahon" on the rolls of the 6NSWIB (or the NSWCB for that matter). There is an entry on the former roll for "164 Tpr. W.MacMahon" and entitled to the expected clasps CC/OFS/TV/Rhod ; but a forename initial mismatch.
Regarding your question about "1445 Tpr. W.McMahon" being entitled to a KSA, the NSW KSA roll shows "174 Sgt. G.McMahon" of 3NSWIB" being so entitled with both date clasps. In the column headed "any other corps in which (he) served in SA", there is an entry which shows that he served in 6NSWIB as number 164. As said above, the particular roll does not support that.
In conclusion, there is a mass of conflicting information to sift through and it is difficult to arrive at a firm conclusion. Basically, however, the clasps CC, Drief,Joh, DiaHill do not associate with any Busmen's Contingent.
Regards
IL.

QSA to McMahon NSW Imp BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77583

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello Ian
Thank you for your valued reply re 1445 Tpr G McMahon, The QSA medal naming appears all the same impressed style. including 'N.S.W. BUSHMEN'

So what I now firmly understand is that our man, unit and NSW contingent with the listed medal bars don't match up? The rivets appear original?
Could the impressed naming also be bogus?
It certainly seems I've have been hoodwinked and paid a big Au$ sum in the process in January 2017.
So sad, but I assume it's all part of the game. Some you win and some you loose.
I'll look out for another NSW QSA to add to my Aussie collection.
many thanks, Evyn

QSA to McMahon NSW Imp BUSHMEN. 2 years 8 months ago #77589

• LinneyI
  • LinneyI's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1537
Evyn
All I can say is that the clasps you list on that QSA are those associated with the early NSW Contingents - and not the Bushmen. At this remove, I could not offer an opinion on the subject medal's naming. For your forays in the field of OZ QSAs, a handy guide to the clasps normally associated with the various pre-and-post Federation Australian BW medals is "Australians Awarded" by Clive Johnson. I have the 1st edition and the 2nd edition is more comprehensive.
I might say that all collectors - whether they admit it or not - can make a purchasing mistake and the thing is to learn from it. I have and I like to think I took the lesson on board.
Best of luck in your search for an early Contingent NSW QSA!
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds