Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A unique award to an Aussie? 6 years 3 months ago #57072

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
I've placed this post here because Edgar Brace served as an officer with the 5th Victoria Mounted Rifles during the Boer War. He was severely wounded on 12 June 1901 at Wilmansrust - an engagement viewed by many Australians as a disaster - more so for how they were described and denigrated by the British General commanding than for any other reason.

Brace returned to Australia but was soon back in South Africa where he served on the Staff attached to the Natal Service Corps during the Bambatha Rebellion earning the Natal medal with 1906 clasp as a Lieutenant (this is the medal I have) - he also earned a 5 clasp QSA which I would dearly like to reunite with his Bambatha.

Brace was an interesting man which I hope to illustrate once I am finished my research.

Was this award of a Natal Medal to an Australian unique? The newspapers of the times certainly thought so but perhaps there are others out there?

Regards

Rory

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A unique award to an Aussie? 6 years 3 months ago #57074

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Rory
Going back many years, an occasional topic among collectors here was the possibility of Natal Rebellion 1906 medals to Australians. Unless a Natal 1906 was accompanied by a QSA from a pre/post Federation Australian unit, the problem was how to prove it! A moot point, really - as no one I knew had ever seen such a combination. Certainly I have not heard of any examples recently.
No Australian contingents were sent to Natal to serve in the Rebellion; apparently, some individuals went over on their own account - and the reference book "Australians Awarded", First edition by Clive Johnson, prices examples both with and without the "1906" clasp.
Yes, the "Fateful Fifth" Victorians still get a bad press due to rawness and sheer bad luck. A closer reading of the circumstances of the Wilmansrust disaster can be instructive. Later, 5th VMR attained a formidable reputation in the field.
Regards
IL.

A unique award to an Aussie? 6 years 3 months ago #57075

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2149
Hi IL

The last sentence of the attached newspaper clipping made me wonder.

Rory
Attachments:

A unique award to an Aussie? 6 years 3 months ago #57076

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
The Australian War Museum has a few examples to Australian soldiers but as Ian says, you need another medal with an Australian unit to prove it. I believe there were quite a few.

A unique award to an Aussie? 6 years 3 months ago #57077

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Rory
Your question prompted a check through my sources. Some time ago, on the website of the ABW Memorial, there is a reference of which I made a note - just in case. One Albert Henry Timms missed selection for 5th VMR and went to SA on his own account. There, at Cape Town, he enlisted in the WPMR as number 1500 and served as a Sergeant. Apparently he remained in SA and later served with the Natal MR in the 1906 Zulu Rebellion. I don't know if his medals ever turned up or not.
I think that the point I would make about your 1906 Natal medal to Lt. Brace is that it is the first such actual example I have heard of. Other, perhaps footloose, OZ Colonials did remain in SA after the war and some probably joined Natal units for the 1906 campaign. It is, however, very very nice to see such a verified example. Well done!
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Rory

A unique award to an Aussie? 6 years 3 months ago #57080

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hi Rory,

Very nice start to the research on Brace. I look forward to hearing more.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.795 seconds