Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

DCMs for the Boer War 5 years 3 months ago #61551

• ianbrentnall
  • Thank you received: 13
Well done on your gains! Mine are still to come - fingers crossed!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DCMs for the Boer War 5 years 3 months ago #61552

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Ian,

Sadly, I am not the owner of these two DCM groups. I have other aspirations to come.

Good luck later
David
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: ianbrentnall

DCMs for the Boer War 5 years 3 months ago #61557

• ianbrentnall
  • Thank you received: 13
So, 2 out of 2 for me today - very happy with the TG's I got.

DCMs for the Boer War 5 years 3 months ago #61722

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
I acquired the DCM group to Sgt.Maj./Major Burges from the late Paul Fauche in 1993. Now, 25 years later I still have not stumbled across a citation/recommendation for the DCM. I have also not been able to find a photo of Burges.

MAJOR E T BURGES, DCM
* DCM (Edw VII) : SERJT-MAJ, BORDER HORSE
* QSA. Bars Witteb. Tvl . CC : Lieut. Cape M R
* KSA. Bars SA '01 & 02 : CAPT. CAPE COLONIAL FORCES
* 1914/15 Star : CAPT, 5th M R
* BWM : MAJ
* AVM (Bil) with MiD Emblem : MAJ
* German SWA Commemorative Medal 1904-06, with Bar KALAHARI 1907

Edward Travers Burges joined the Cape Mounted Rifles at the age of 19 in Feb 1897. During the Boer War he was seconded to the Border Horse when that Regiment was formed in Feb 1900. He quickly rose to RSM and was awarded a DCM, probably for his part in the skirmishes with Gen de la Rey at Doornhoek on 26 Aug 1900,
where he was reported as “Missing – Rejoined” and Quaggafontein (31 Aug 1900).
He subsequently held commissioned rank as Lieutenant in the Cape Mounted Rifles and then as Captain in No 2 Division, Cape Colonial Forces up to the end of the war (“L” Squadron was known as Burges’ Squadron).
Towards the end of Aug 1902 Burges joined the Cape Mounted Police with the rank of Sub-Inspector.
In October 1907 he commanded No 3 Troop of the Cape Mounted Police Squadron under Maj Elliot that finally
cornered and killed Jacob Marengo, thereby ending the reign of terror of the guerilla band. This earned him his
German SWA Medal with the Kalahari 1907 bar (This bar was only awarded to 92 men of the Cape Mounted Police and Cape Mounted Riflemen who took part in this skirmish outside German territory: no German soldier received it)
At the outbreak of WWI, and at that stage holding a commission in the 5th SAMR, he proceeded to German SWA and served under Col Davies (ILH) and Col Royston. He was MiD for his "excellent work as Brigade Major to the 9th Mounted Brigade".
In Aug 1915 he was posted to the 1st SA Infantry, the intention being that he, as SAMR officer, would only be involved with training. However, he managed to embark with his comrades in Sept 1915 and, despite furious correspondence, successfully evaded being recalled to the Union.
Burges was promoted to Major in Dec 1915, and after a period of training in England, he served as second in command with the 1st SAI in Egypt and France.
He was killed in action on 18 July 1916 at a critical stage of the Battle of Dellville Wood. For his bravery in the face of overwhelming odds, Lt Col Tanner recommended him for the immediate award of the DSO:
"This officer re-occupied the Strand Street flank with his Company (D Company 1st Regiment S.A.I.) after the Company originally holding this line had been practically destroyed (B Company 2nd Regiment S.A.I.). Major Burges, who was eventually killed, performed yeoman service in protecting this flank and was untiring in his efforts to keep connection along his line and with the troops on the edge of the wood".
As he did not survive the battle, no award was made.
Edward Burges has no known grave. His name, however, is inscribed on the Thiepval Memorial, together with those of some 73 000 British and South African soldiers who shared a similar fate.

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

DCMs for the Boer War 5 years 3 months ago #61723

• Peter Jordi
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi

It is an honour to be of service to you Henk: The Edinburgh Gazette: October 15, 1901 page 1158, bottom right hand corner.

Best regards

Peter

DCMs for the Boer War 5 years 3 months ago #61726

• ResearchRescue
  • Thank you received: 101
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Henk Loots

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds