Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Siege of Ladysmith Presentation Watch, R White, P.O.1, HMS Powerful 3 years 2 months ago #74362

• cc
  • cc's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 7
Thank you. Amazing. Who knew so many were involved? Where did you find this, Navy records? cc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Siege of Ladysmith Presentation Watch, R White, P.O.1, HMS Powerful 3 years 2 months ago #74363

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1901
Hello cc,

The QSA medal rolls show which of the Powerful men served through the Siege of Ladysmith. Further details come from the list of officers and men of the Naval and Marine Brigade who served ashore in South Africa with the naval guns (ADM 171/54). The latter gives details of next-of-kin, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cc

Siege of Ladysmith Presentation Watch, R White, P.O.1, HMS Powerful 3 years 2 months ago #74364

• cc
Take a look at what I just found: Buxton's WWI Australian 19 page enlistment form and service record: discoveringanzacs.naa.gov.au/browse/person/108741
He was a resident of Melbourne at the time (1915), and ended up in the flying corps.That explains why I found his Ladysmith watch in Melbourne when I lived there. I also Googled his full name and found a privately printed booklet (63 pages) of his poetry published in 1925, so I guess he survived. He received the Victory Medal. Going to buy the book and see if any South African/Powerfull/War lore. Regards, cc
Link to page one of form: recordsearch.naa.gov.au/NAAMedia/ShowIma...sp?B=3178004&S=1&T=P

But wait, there's more: www.aif.adfa.edu.au/showPerson?pid=41970

Siege of Ladysmith Presentation Watch, R White, P.O.1, HMS Powerful 3 years 2 months ago #74523

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1901
Detailed description of the watches here:

H.M.S. Powerful - The Siege of Ladysmith Watches
The following user(s) said Thank You: cc

Siege of Ladysmith Presentation Watch, Frank Edgar Buxton, AB, HMS Powerful 3 years 1 month ago #74677

• cc
I just received the book "Poems of Frank Edgar Buxton" published privately by his widow Florence "Ada" Maud Buxton, in 1925, the year he passed away. There are 42 poems in the 63 page, hardcover book. The copy I have is signed by Ada M. Buxton and was presented to Emeline Purmont on Christmas, 1925. Loose inside the book was a photo of Mrs Buxton. There is no mention of the sea, conflict, Africa, the war, WWI, just pleasant, optimistic little poems commemorating birthdays, anniversaries, Ada, friends, Natureā€¦ and the beauty of NEW ENGLAND, USA! [He must have moved to the USA shortly following his discharge from the Australian Imperial Force in 1919.] There is a poem celebrating the USA holiday "Flag Day' June 14. There is another celebrating USA "Memorial Day." Several praising the New England countryside, and mentions of several states in the northeast part of the States. The dated poems range from 1899 to 1924. Buxton was born in London in 1880, so he was only 20 when at Ladysmith. In addition to his 14 years service in the Royal Navy, he enlisted for WWI in Melbourne, Australia, in 1915 and served as Chief Mechanic, sergeant, in the Australian Flying Corps.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.399 seconds