Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 2 months ago #74383

• De Klerk
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Rory. My name is Debra and I was delighted to finally discover my great grandfather: Samuel Solomon Wimborne (Weinbaum) on this website. He has been an elusive character in the family history as I think he was largely estranged from his daughter Lillian Eve Wimborne (my grandmother) when he died. What an excellent history you presented of him via the use of his medals - Thank you so much. Just a question - are his medals for sale? if they are safely stored with an enthusiast (I think you were corresponding with Frank Kelley re this group) then I am at peace. If they are for sale I would like to try and purchase them. Anyway - just wanted to say thank you on behalf of his family who have search for many years for information about his life.
Regards Debra (I know live in Australia).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 2 months ago #74386

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2121
Hi Debra and thank you for your kind words. The medals to Sam Wimborne are one of my most cherished groups so you can rest easy in the knowledge that they are well cared for. One of the many joys of medal collecting is that, sometimes years after your initial research has been compiled, a chance reference catches your eye and off you go again! Such was the case with Wimborne - several weeks ago I was going through a data base of men who had enlisted with the Natal Police. This would not have attracted my attention normally - but there it was! S Wimborne, enlisted with the Natal Police for a short spell - service I was unaware of!

If you would like any of the source documents I used in compiling this history please send me a PM - likewise, if you have any photos of him and/or the family I would be grateful for an electronic copy.

Regards

Rory

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles 3 years 1 month ago #74686

• Patricia Wimborne
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you for all the info on Samuel Soloman Wimborne. He was my late husbands grandfather and all his life story has been very interesting.

Medals to the Bechuanaland Rifles =- Wimborne 1 year 6 months ago #85864

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2121
I was gifted this copy photo of the 26th SA RFS Squadron at Eastbourne in 1917 - Sam Wimborne would be one of those in picture.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.457 seconds