TOPIC:

My Interests 2 years 2 months ago #80632

• Redpoll
  • Redpoll's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
My interest is in the military history of my great-grandfather William Anthony Fothergill, service number 3244, who served with the 2nd Battalion Scottish Rifles (Cameronians) in the Boer War.
He died of wounds at Chieveley on or around 4th Feb 1900. there are conflicting reports as to where he was wounded, as both Spion Kop and Hussar Hill are shown in different reports.
Can anyone advise me where I can find details of the Scottish Rifles in the Boer War.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My Interests 2 years 2 months ago #80635

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Welcome to the forum, Redpoll.

This is a good starting point: www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...ians-scottish-rifles

The relief of Ladysmith is well documented in the Books section too.

This is the regimental site: www.cameronians.org/introduction/index.html
Dr David Biggins

My Interests 2 years 2 months ago #80637

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The medal roll (WO100/182p242) says he died 23 January 1900.

The casualty roll and Steve Watt's In Memorial say he DOW 4 February 1900.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev

My Interests 2 years 2 months ago #80639

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
Hi,

Welcome to the Anglo-Boer War Forum. You can check out this link on this forum of the Unit Information for the Cameronians (Scottish Rifles). 'The Boer War Casualty Roll 1899-1902' by A. M Palmer lists that you Great-Grandfather died of wounds at Chieveley on the 4th February 1900.

I'll attach the Campaign Medal and Award Roll for the 2nd Battalion Scottish Rifles which shows that 3244 Private W. Fothergill was awarded the QSA with the Relief of Ladysmith clasp. The interesting information in the Remarks column has the date of being deceased as 23rd February 1900 which I believe is incorrect.

The following information is from Find-a-Grave which hope will fill in a few more gaps for you in your research -

3244 Private W Fothergill, 2nd Battalion the (Cameronians) Scottish Rifles. He deployed with his battalion to South Africa for the Second Anglo Boer War, sailing on the City of Cambridge on 23 Oct 1899, and arrived at Durban about 21 Nov 1899. Along with the 1st Durham Light Infantry, 3rd King's Royal Rifles, and 1st Rifle Brigade, they formed the 4th Brigade under Major General Lyttelton. They fought at Colenso on 15 Dec 1899, but were not heavily engaged and suffered few casualties. They fought at Spion Kop on 24 Jan 1900 having deployed as a reserve late in the day (37 killed, 65 wounded). Pte Fothergill was wounded in action at Spion Kop and died of his wounds 8 days later at No 4 General Hospital, Mooi River, Natal. He is also commemorated on the (Cameronians) Scottish Rifles Boer War memorial in Glasgow Cathedral, Castle Street, Glasgow, Scotland (see: www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/271651/ ).

He is recorded as a Lance Corporal on the cemetery memorial, and as a Private on the (Cameronians) Scottish Rifles Boer War memorial in Glasgow Cathedral, on the Natal Field Force Casualty Roll (page 92 line 1) and on In Memoriam by S Watt.

Death recorded at Chieveley on the Natal Field Force Casualty Roll (page 92 line 1). Not recorded on the Boer War memorial in Chieveley War Cemetery.

Trev
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

My Interests 2 years 2 months ago #80656

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
If you were planning a visit to Spioenkop and Chieveley, which I known well, I'd be pleased to advise you on the practicalities.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

My Interests 2 years 2 months ago #80668

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 939
Mooi River No 4 General Hospital Cemetery

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.839 seconds