Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 9 years 8 months ago #21184

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1873
Good Afternoon Everyone.....

To carry on from my comment in the thread Killed by Snake Bite.....

Here is a rough copy of the article......

Mike

ODD SOUTH AFRICAN CASUALTIES

From the Natal Field Force Casualty List

This is a list of reasons why personnel have been struck off strength of their regiments / corps / units, for other reasons than Killed In Action, all forms of Wounded in Action or Died of Disease….

1. Accidentally Injured (Reason not given) ….. 440
2. Accidentally Killed (Reason not given) ….. 260
3. Drowned ….. 203
4. Injured in Railway Accident ….. 171
5. Killed in Railway Accident ….. 142
6. Injured in fall from Horse ….. 112 (I am sure there must be more than this.)
7. Deserted ….. 76
8. Died of Enteric Fever ….. 68
9. Wounded, Accidentally Self Inflicted ….. 61
10. Injured by Lightening ….. 56
11. Suicide while Temporarily Insane ….. 55
12. Killed by Lightening ….. 54
13. Killed, Accidentally, Self Inflicted ..... 43
14. Shot Dead Accidentally ..... 33
15. Injured in Explosion ..... 33
16. Killed in Fall from Horse ..... 22 (Again there must be more.)
17. Killed in Explosion 11
18. Died from Alcoholism ..... 10
19. Died from Alcoholic Poisoning ..... 9
20. Poisoned ..... 9
21. Murdered (by comrade) ..... 8
22. Died of Burns ..... 7
23. Injured in Waggon Stampede ..... 7
24. Died of Fractured Scull ..... 7
25. Died of Pneumonia ....... 7
26. Died of Dysentery ...... 7
27. Died of Suffocation ..... 6
28. Died of Asphyxia ...... 5
29. Died of Heat Stroke ..... 5
30. Died of Sun Stroke ..... 3
31. Shot by Comrade ..... 3
32. Fall in a Mine ..... 3
33. Exposure ..... 3
34. Killed in Waggon Stampede ..... 3
35. Killed in fall under Water Cart ..... 3
36. Killed in Fall off Railway Bridge ..... 3
37. Discharged due to Felony ..... 2
38. Compression of the Brain .....2
39. Killed in Fall off Cliff ..... 2
40. Killed by Bee Stings ..... 2
41. Died in a Fit ..... 2
42. Died of the Plague ..... 2
43. Stabbed by the Natives ..... 2
44. Killed by Lions ..... 2
45. Killed in a Bar Brawl ..... 2
46. Killed in Attempting to Escape the Boers ..... 2

All of the following had One (1) Each:.....

Joined the Rebels
Killed by a Crocodile while Swimming
Executed for Murder (We know that there were more)
Died from Rheumatism
Killed after being Gored by a Bull
Died of Timpanists
Died from an Overdose of Morphine
Died from Exhaustion
Died of Melancholia
Died from Paralysis
Died from Shock
Died from Inflammation of the Middle Ear
Died from Lacerated Brain
Died from Ruptured Kidney
Died from a Strangulated Hernia.

I am sure that there are many families that would not like to read some of the reasons listed above when they lost their loved ones.....
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, Moranthorse1, Mickster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 9 years 8 months ago #21190

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294

QSAMIKE wrote: Died of Timpanists

The mind boggles.

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 9 years 8 months ago #21200

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
The lacerated brain doesn't sound too good!

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 9 years 8 months ago #21218

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Mike,

Thank you for sharing this list.
Indeed, some gruesome fatalities, No.40 "Killed by bee stings" seems horrific :(

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 5 months ago #78980

• Trev
  • Thank you received: 204
A Million Ways to Die in the West Boer War.

I have only just re-watched 'A Million Ways to Die in the West', which is an American Western comedy film directed by Seth MacFarlane and then came across in the last few days this article. At that time, I thought to myself of all the books and articles that I have read over the years about the Boer War and considered the many ways and methods (some strange, bizarre and unbelievable) of how these brave men met their death. Whether it may have been during the heat of battle or skirmishes, mis-adventure, intentional accidents and not, act of God (freak of nature) or disease.

A N.S.W. Lancer Gored to Death.

A SAD accident occurred at the Remount Camp on Sunday, January 14 (writes the Stellenbosch correspondent of the "Cape Times"), one of the rough riders of the New South Wales Lancers being gored to death by a bull. It appears the unfortunate man and a companion were returning from the Highlanders' Camp to their own. What exactly happened I cannot say, but from what I gather the men went too close to the fence and raised the bull's anger, whether by teasing him or not I cannot say. However, the bull went for him, breaking down the fence, and simply ripped him up, and trampled him into a jelly. The other man prudently de-camped. The inquest was held on the Monday morning, and the funeral took place the same afternoon, being attended by about fifty of his comrades (mounted), and in passing through the village were joined by a large number of citizens. The unfortunate man's name was Cunningham. He leaves a widow and two children.

(The "Evening News " says : There is evidently some confusion of identity in connection with this unfortunate man. There is no trooper named Cunningham with the New South Wales Lancers, gone or going to South Africa, and Trooper J. W. Cunningham, of the Mounted Rifles, who sailed in the  Southern Cross, is still at sea.)
(Northern Star, Lismore NSW, Wednesday 21 Feb, 1900)

Who was Private Cunningham?

From the footnote of this article, the first clue was one, he wasn't of the NSW Lancers. Relying on my copy of Palmer's, 'Boer War Casualty Roll', it became obvious when looking up CUNNINGHAM and seeing in the remark column: 'Gored by Bull', I knew that I had my man. Information found was that Private 3358 W. Cunningham of the 2 Dragoons (Royal Scots Grey) was killed at Stellenbosch which is also noted as being a Remount Depot. 

The medal and award roll (WO100/114) also confirms the information of this soldier and his death and the issuing of his QSA with the Cape Colony clasp to his next-of-kin on 16 March 1903. Roll as follow -

Private Cunningham was buried at Stellenbosch which is approx. 40 km east of Cape Town, but has since been reinterned and is remembered at the Maitland Cemetery, Cape Town and who's name appears on the Boer War Memorial (first row at the top).

I'm interested to hear from other forum members of what they have read, of some of the more obscure ways that soldiers fighting on both sides have perished during the Anglo-Boer War.
Trev.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F, Moranthorse1

Bizarre and curious casualties of the South Africa Field Force 2 years 5 months ago #79004

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742
Hi Trev,
A really interesting thread.
During lockdown to while away the time, I went through the SAFF casualty lists and compiled separate lists of causes of death other than the more glorious as a result of battle Killed in Action, Died of Wounds etc. I categorised them, for example, killed by lightning, killed by animal, drowned, died of disease etc, etc.
There is one example of Trooper Smart of steinaeckers horse being killed by a lion and another chap killed by a crocodile! Both bodies were recovered by comrades before they were eaten.
I now feel moved to add to your thread and actually put the data to use. Hopefully will post soon.
Cheers Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Trev, Mickster

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.719 seconds