Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78768

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
Here's the more familiar picture of Churchill, same group, this time facing the camera.
(In a postcard version of the photo Neville shows in post #78765, Churchill is identified as the fellow in a flat cap with his back to the camera, towards the left of the frame. I am not convinced it is Churchill).

The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: pfireman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78769

• Rob D
In this superb picture (which I am really delighted to have been shown by Neville) I believe the man in the hat leaning over is Bennet Burleigh. He was a chum of Rene Bull's, and features in several of Rene Bull's photos. Burleigh was the Correspondent for the Daily Telegraph and wrote "The Natal Campaign"

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, pfireman

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78770

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
A few more images for the thread. Got the hint about editing posts. Will be using preview all the time from now on!.

Charles Wagner the train driver and his helper Mr. Stewart. Churchill obtained the Albert medal for them in1910 when he was home secretary.

A better image of Churchill by the train after his escape.

Before and after pictures of Haldane and Le Mesurier after reaching safety in Delagoa Bay.

Please see these volumes for an extensive photographic record of the conflict:

Black And White Budget Weekly Transvaal Specials Volumes 1 & 2 Vol 1 from October 14th, 1899 – Dec 30th 1899 Issues 1-12 Vol 2 from Jan 6th, 1900 – March 31, 1900 Issues 13-25. PDF is 856 pages Black & white illustrated budget : Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming : Internet Archive And: archive.org/details/blackwhiteillust12lond/mode/2up

Navy and Army Illustrated
Volume 8: Issues 112-137. 25 March 1899 - 16 September 1899 Navy & Army Illustrated - Google Books
Volume 9: Issues 138 to 163. 23 September 1899 - 17 March 1900 Volume 9 was acquired from: Your Old Books & Maps (youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk)
Volume 10: March 24th 1900 No. 164 to Sept. 8th 1900 No. 188 ????Navy & Army Illustrated - Google Books
Navy & Army Vol 10
Volume 11: Issues 190-215. 22 September 1900 - 16 March 1901 Navy & Army Illustrated - Google Books

Thanks for the hint about the very obvious purple edit button!
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78771

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
Original: Boy I messed that post up. Is there any way to edit posts? I'm fumbling around looking for a means to do so but can't see any. I'll be more careful in the future.

Revised: Duh, it's the purple button that says 'Edit'.
P.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob D, Moranthorse1

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78772

• Rob D
Payton, you've got the hang of putting images into the post by using the "Insert" option for attachments.
Editing after posting is a piece of cake.
On any post you've made you will see a purple "Edit" button at bottom right of the screen. Only the person who wrote the post can see the Edit button. Click that and then the text will appear in a box, with each attachment visible as a string of text which will have the format: [attachment=XXXX]name of picture.jpeg[/attachment]. Just delete the duplicate attachments.

By the way, I'm enjoying this thread a lot!
Rob

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78774

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1902
Rob,
Having had a better look at the postcard, I think you are absolutely right - it is NOT Churchill standing in the centre. In the well-known photograph, Churchill is wearing Stohwasser leggings, whereas the man in the image used for the postcard is wearing puttees.

My reason for believing that the prisoners in the first image are from the armoured train disaster is shown below. The French publishers of the postcard describe them as "prisonniers du train blindé d'Estcourt" - but then they also thought the man on the left in the flat cap was Churchill ....

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.972 seconds