Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78522

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
Hello: My name is Payton Fireman and I am annotating Almer Haldane's escape narrative "How We Escaped from Pretoria", W. Blackwood. 1901, which is available from the Internet archive. In his book he declined to relate the action that took place when he and Churchill fought and were captured. He deferred to Churchill’s account. (An extraordinary opportunity missed!) When Captain Haldane returned to Natal in April of 1900 it is likely that he was tasked with writing up an after action report. He was Gordan Highlander but the men under his command were Dublin Fusiliers, it may be in their regimental records. Even if Haldane did not write up a report, the senior officer that did return to Estcourt would have written up a report in November of 1899. If someone could point me in the right direction so I can find whatever records of this small but significant action have been memorialized I’d like to find them. This is important enough that I would be more than willing to compensate a researcher for their assistance. Mr. Haldane also wrote an autobiography "A Soldier's Saga: The Autobiography of General Sir Aylmer Haldane, by Sir James Aylmer Lowthorpe Haldane Publisher: W. Blackwood, 1948" If anyone has a copy of this book, I would very much enjoy talking with them about what he has to say about this period in his life.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78654

• DocCJ
  • Thank you received: 22
While not adding anything to the history of this event, I thought a photo taken in 2017 of the location might be of interest. It's not far from Spion Kop, a battle I believe Churchill observed a few months later after his escape (or did this pre-date his capture? I was intrigued to realise that Nelson Mandela was captured on the same railway line in the 1960s, albeit further south.
Chris

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1, pfireman

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78655

• Rob D
  • Thank you received: 720
Payton, I've sent you a message.
Rob
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78664

• pfireman
Thank you so much for the picture of the location of the wreck! I see that the railway line still runs along that right of way! Do you mind if I crop it and use it in my article/book? Write back with your full name so I can give you credit for the photo. I did not know that Mandela was also associated with this train line. Best. Payton Fireman. [email protected] if you ever want to write me directly.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78665

• pfireman
Hi Rob: Thanks for notifying me about sending me a message but I'm not sure that I received the content. I'm new on this forum so I may be missing something. I did get a picture and reply with thanks but it appears that was from Chris. Best Payton

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 6 months ago #78682

• DocCJ
  • Thank you received: 22
Hi Payton
I've sent you some more photos to your e-mail address
Best regards
Chris

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.436 seconds