Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 3 months ago #80616

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
I’ve collected three other accounts, Benett Burleigh’s, Robert McArthur’s and Leo Amery’s and am attaching them as a 5 page PDF. It includes lots of images and information contributed to this discussion and I’ve done my best to give credit to all. I need to give fuller credit to Neville C for the outstanding image of Burleigh on the train; so much better than the B&W weekly image I can scan. Many more details to fill in. Feel free to copy and paste anything out of the PDF that anyone might find useful. Even the images can be copied out.
Great detective work on the man with his ‘War Face’ on. He’s one tough Hombre’ whether Hensley or Romer. I lean towards Romer, but the height and eye color issue by Rob is so insightful.
Anybody got a picture of Leo Amery at the time? He ended up as First Lord of the Admiralty and much more. Not a big deal but of interest. Same goes for Rene Bull. I will find one or both and share.
I did not know there was so much action going on prior to the ambush! It had seemed like there was nothing really happening and the ambush appeared out of nowhere. Not true at all. It was completely foreseeable that at some point artillery would be used against the train. A mounted patrol can evade in almost any direction and is dispersed anyway. A train is a sitting duck on a straight line.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 3 months ago #80701

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
It is WSC, he was given the RDF sidecap by a Boer who had it as a souvenir

Iain
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: pfireman

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 3 months ago #80704

• pfireman
  • pfireman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 38
Great color image. You wouldn’t happen to have a larger copy? RobD posted the best B&W image I have seen and I'm re-posting it. I’d guess that’s Frankland next to WSC. He’s young. Haldane makes mention that he hid his face from the photographers. Sgt. Brockie may be the fourth person who WSC and Churchill were helping to impersonate an officer and get him into the State Model School so they use his local knowledge to help them escape. This may be the only picture of Frankland we will ever find. If someone could tell me whether he is wearing the insignia for a lieutenant, that would help in drawing the conclusion that it is a picture of him.

There is also this one from WSC's 'My Early Life'

The only know picture of Brockie From Celia Sandy's Wanted Dead or Alive p. 111
Attachments:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 3 months ago #80712

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
I can't seem to find a larger copy of the photo at the moment. Give me your email address and I''ll send my one; maybe it does reduce?
Thanks for confirming it was Haldane looking down.
The attached photo is of Churchill talking to Lt Col Julian Byng of the South African Light Horse. (AKA the Cockyolibirds or Sakabulas from the feathers of the long tailed Widow bird, they wore in the hats.)
WSC served as a lieutenant in the SALH from January to July 1900. Note in this photo he is in civvies after returning from Pretoria probably arranging his commission.
The regiment was raised by Major (locally a Lieutenant Colonel) the Honourable Julian Byng (10th Hussars)
Attachments:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 3 months ago #80715

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1991
Payton,

Here are scans of the two photographs of Haldane and Le Mesurier reproduced in "How we escaped from Pretoria". I think they may be a little cleaner than the copies you have. Also some drawings of them as published in newspapers of the time.

Haldane and Le Mesurier as depicted in the Exmouth Journal, 7th April 1900

Le Mesurier as depicted in the Oxford Times, 23rd June 1900

Attachments:

Armoured Train Ambush 11-15-99 Churchill & Haldane 2 years 3 months ago #80717

• Neville_C
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1991
Also a scan of the frontispiece of Haldane, which I had forgotten is signed.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: iaindh, pfireman

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.418 seconds