Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

DOUBLE RELIEF - Relief Of Ladysmith & Relief of Pekin 3 years 8 months ago #70614

• Peter Jordi
  • Peter Jordi's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 40
Hi

Am I correct in thinking that the combination of a Queen’s medal with the `Relief of Ladysmith’ clasp and a China 1900 medal with the `Relief of Pekin’ clasp was only awarded to men of H.M.S. Terrible?

Such a conclusion appears to be confirmed by a search of the Dix Noonan Webb Lot Archive which indicates that the only such legitimate combinations sold were those to men of H.M.S. Terrible. It refers to a couple of groups sold in the past to men of other units, but indicates that their entitlement is not accepted and the naming of such medals is suspect.

If such pairs are limited to those awarded to the men of H.M.S. Terrible then in that event it appears at angloboerwar.com/unit-information/rn-shi...hms-terrible?start=1 that there are 88 such possible combinations.

The surviving QSA and China medal combinations to men of H.M.S. Terrible that records indicate are known to exist appear to be those issued to Midn. A.E. Ackland (sold DNW 2013); Ord. P.J.Cox (sold Bonhams 2006); AB J.W. Dennis (sold DNW 2020); Midn. R.S. Down (sold DNW 2005); L/S T.R.H. Gardiner (Museum of Royal New Zealand Navy); Pte. C. Gulliver RM (sold DNW 1996); Midn. R.B.C Hutchinson (sold DNW 2012); Stoker E. Morgan (indicated to be in a private collection); AB H.A. Sandby (sold Lyon & Turnbull 2020); AB D. Shepherd (indicated to be in a private collection); E.C. Shepherd (indicated to be in a private collection); Ord. L.A.F. Thomas (indicated to be in a private collection); AB S.J. Warren (sold DNW 2007); L/S A. H. White (sold DNW 2003); and Ord. E.C. White (sold DNW 2011). By my estimation 15 are known.

Another five single China 1900 medals separated from their Queen’s medal partners are apparently known: those to AB J. Barrett; Ord. F.W. Brennan; AB G. Kewell; AB F.C Randall; and Sergt. E Roper RM.

If anyone can enlighten me I look forward to learning more.

Best regards
Peter Jordi
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, vimy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

DOUBLE RELIEF - Relief Of Ladysmith & Relief of Pekin 3 years 8 months ago #70615

• Jon
  • Thank you received: 50
According to this article 88 were issued - "Only 88 medals with this clasp were awarded to men from HMS Terrible who had also been awarded a Relief of Ladysmith clasp on a QSA after qualifying for that clasp on another continent a few months earlier."

www.omsa.org/double-relief/
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Peter Jordi

DOUBLE RELIEF - Relief Of Ladysmith & Relief of Pekin 3 years 8 months ago #70616

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Peter,

BB&M p 462-3 lists 35 ships that received the China Medal with 11 receiving Relief of Pekin or RoP/Taku Forts.

Presuming that men did not change ships (which would have been difficult), HMS Terrible is the only vessel to have served in South Africa.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi

DOUBLE RELIEF - Relief Of Ladysmith & Relief of Pekin 3 years 8 months ago #70630

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I think, to be quite honest, it is nice to see both medals together, to a single recipient, notwithstanding any clasp entitlement, perhaps I am just easily pleased?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Peter Jordi

DOUBLE RELIEF - Relief Of Ladysmith & Relief of Pekin 3 years 8 months ago #70639

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234
Full listing of the 88 on the ABW website here.

David

angloboerwar.com/unit-information/rn-shi...hms-terrible?start=1

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.764 seconds