• Page:

TOPIC:

Durham Light Infantry second Boer War 6 years 3 months ago #56682

• LeonardK99
  • LeonardK99's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am researching whether there are any war memorials dedicated to the DLI during the second Boer War.
From what I have been given to understand the DLI and DLI Militia were used only in a supporting role and reinforced units that were stretched manning blockhouses and guarding the railways and towns.
I am a member of the DLI Friends and we are currently trying to compile a database of DLI War Memorials worldwide, this task is proving very difficult and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Durham Light Infantry second Boer War 6 years 3 months ago #56685

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Leonard
Welcome to the forum. Stirling's "Our Regiments in South Africa" devotes three pages to the activities of the DLI during 1899-1902. 1st Bn., DLI served with Lyttleton's Brigade at Vaal Krantz and had considerable losses. Between 13/2 and 27/2/1900, with the RB, they carried the ridge between Monte Cristo and Green Hill and captured the enemy laager. Their brigade was on the left during the final assault of 27/2/1900. Stirling comments that, after the entry into the Transvaal, the history of the Bn. "was not very stirring". They were chiefly employed on the Natal-Pretoria railway and in column work from the railway line towards the ORC. Stirling does not mention the DLI Militia.
The DLI MI coy. was present at Sanna's Post 30-31/3/1900. The MI Coy. gained "many mentions" during the campaign".
Doubtless, others on the Forum will be able to assist if they know of any DLI memorials.
Regards
IL.

Durham Light Infantry second Boer War 6 years 3 months ago #56686

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214

LeonardK99 wrote: I am researching whether there are any war memorials dedicated to the DLI during the second Boer War.
From what I have been given to understand the DLI and DLI Militia were used only in a supporting role and reinforced units that were stretched manning blockhouses and guarding the railways and towns.
I am a member of the DLI Friends and we are currently trying to compile a database of DLI War Memorials worldwide, this task is proving very difficult and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

Hi Leonard,
The main memorial to the DLI is within the grounds of Durham Cathedral link below
www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/10234
Regards
Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Durham Light Infantry second Boer War 6 years 3 months ago #56690

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
IL
The similarity in the names of the Durban Light Infantry and Durham Light Infantry has been the cause of many muddles over the years. The DLI MI active in the OFS may refer to the Durham regiment.
Regards
Brett

Durham Light Infantry second Boer War 6 years 3 months ago #56697

• kennedy54
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thanks Brett I was aware of the confusion between the Durban LI and the Durham LI and this certainly does not help.
For the uninitiated what is OFS?
best regards

Durham Light Infantry second Boer War 6 years 3 months ago #56698

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello Leonard

These are the memorials I have recorded - you should find them on IWM National Inventory and/or North-East War Memorials Project.

Durham DU Cathedral Green north-west of main door. Celtic Cross Durham Light Infantry
Durham DU Durham LI Museum. Plaque. 1 Vol bn Durham LI
Back Western Hill DU Memorial Cottage. Durham LI
Barnard Castle DU Church. Tablet. 3rd (militia) bn Durham Light Infantry
Gateshead TW Destroyed. St Mary's. Tablet. 4th Durham Light Infantry
Stockton-on-tees CL Parish Church. Plaque. West end north aisle. 1 Vol bn Durham LI

Are you interested in memorials to individual soldiers of the regiment?

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.426 seconds