• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Picture courtesy of DNW

CB (Mil)
CBE (1st type, Mil)
IGS 1895 (2) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Tirah 1897-98 (Major E. E. Carr 2nd Bn. Ryl: Sco: Fus:);
QSA (4) CC TH Rol Tr (Lt-Colonel E. E. Carr. C.B. Rl: Scots Fus:);
KSA (2) (Col. E. E. Carr C.B. Rl. Scots. Fus.);
1914-15 Star (Col: E. E. Carr.);
British War and Victory Medals with M.I.D. oak leaf (Col. E. E. Carr.)

Edward Elliott Carr was born on 31 May 1854, son of Deputy Surgeon-General J. K. Carr, M.D., R.A. He was educated privately and entered the Army in 1873, being appointed to the Royal Scots Fusiliers. He served with the 2nd battalion on the N.W. Frontier of India 1897-98, including the action at the Ublan Pass on 27 August, 1897; and in Tirah, in the operations against the Khani Khel Chamkanis.

He commanded the 2nd battalion in South Africa from 23 November 1899, and was present at the Relief of Ladysmith, including the operations of 17 to 24 January and 5 to 7 February, 1900, and action at Vall Krantz; operations on the Tugela Heights, and the action at Pieter’s Hill where, leading his regiment in the final attack, he was severely wounded. The heavy losses incurred by the regiment at this action, together with those of the Irish and Dublin Fusiliers, all part of Barton’s Fusilier Brigade, were tempered by the fact that the capture of Pieter’s Hill resulted directly in the relief of Ladysmith. Colonel Carr was mentioned in General Buller’s despatches; as was Sergeant-Major Steele for “conspicuous coolness and devotion in building up stone sangars under heavy cross-fire round Lieut.-Colonel Carr, who was lying wounded, and protecting his commanding officer until he was removed after dark.” Steele was subsequently awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal. After recovering from his wounds, Colonel Carr resumed command of his regiment and took part in the actions at Frederickstad, later being appointed Commandant of that town. For his services in South Africa he was created a Companion of the Bath.

During the Great War Colonel Carr served at home as Assistant Adjutant and Quarter-Master General of the Lowland Division in 1914, and as Inspector of the Lines of Communications, 1914-15. He went to France in 1915 where he Commanded No.16 Base Depôt and, from 1916 to 1918, he Commanded Reinforcements in France. He was mentioned in despatches by the Secretary of State for War in February 1917; by Field Marshal Sir Douglas Haig in December 1917, and created a C.B.E. in 1919. Colonel Carr died at Sidmouth, Devon, on 18 May 1926.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Royal Scots Fusiliers 4 years 7 months ago #65512

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

CMG n/b
IGS 1895 (3) Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Samana 1897, Tirah 1897-98 (Lieut. H. H. Northey. Ryl. Scots Fuslrs.) top lugs removed;
QSA (4) Cape Colony, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (Capt. H. H. Northey, R. Scots Fus:);
KSA (2) (Capt. H. H. Northey. Rl. Scts. Fus.);
1914-15 Star (Lt: Col: H. H. Northey. R. Sc: Fus:);
BWM & VM with MID (Lt. Col. H. H. Northey.)

Provenance: Spink, May 2001.

CMG London Gazette 14 January 1916: ‘For services rendered in connection with Military Operations in the Field.’

MID London Gazette 1 January 1916.

Herbert Hamilton Northey was born in 1870 and was educated at Somerset College and the Royal Military College, Sandhurst. Commissioned Second Lieutenant in the Royal Scots Fusiliers in July 1891, he was promoted Lieutenant in July 1893 and served during operations on the North West Frontier of India, 1897-98, including those on the Samana and the action at Ublan Pass, 27 August 1897, in addition to service on the Staff in the Tirah Expeditionary Force. Promoted Captain in June 1899, he served during the Boer War in South Africa, and was taken Prisoner of War at Colenso, whilst participating in operations to relieve the garrison at Ladysmith; subsequently released, he went onto serve in the Transvaal, November 1900 to May 1902, and was latterly on the Staff and Commandant at Krokodil Poort.

Promoted Major in February 1912, on the outbreak of the Great War Northey was given command of the 6th (Service) Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers; served with the Regiment during the Great War on the Western Front from May 1915; and was wounded at the Battle of Loos, 27 September 1915: ‘Just after dawn the Germans attempted to attack us from the direction of Haisnes, but were repulsed without difficulty. Immediately after this I received a report that the enemy were trying to bomb down the right of Fosse Alley. I had two machine guns and also parties of bombers on that flank, and the enemy was held until our bombs were exhausted and both machine guns put out of action by being hit by German bombs. As the German bombing parties were now making headway down the trench, I ordered the company on the right to get out of the trench into the open so as to charge round the bombers. This was done, but not without severe loss from machine-gun fire from St. Elie, and also artillery fire from the direction of Haisnes. With this party I eventually retired on to the old German trenches south-east of the Hohenzollern Redoubt. All this time we received no reinforcements and no support from our guns. On consultation with Colonel MacKenzie (10th Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders) we agreed that the only thing to do was to get back to the old German trenches with as little loss as possible. However as this meant returning over the open for some 300 to 400 yards, severe losses were inevitable. I was hit myself, shot through the left leg about 200 yards from the trench we were making for, and I believe Colonel MacKenzie was also hit about the same time but I never saw him again. This must have been about 3 p.m. and from onward I took no further part in the fighting. After I was hit, I stumbled on through communication trenches hopping as best I could for what seemed an interminable distance - the trenches being deep with mud and choked with dead and wounded men - and was eventually helped into a German dugout by a stretcher-bearer, who tied up my leg. I then imagine I must have fainted, probably because I had lost a lot of blood, and came to finding myself being pulled out of the dug-out by two stretcher-bearers, with a terrific din going on all around. This was the German counter-attacking, and I found I was between the German and British lines. I slowly and very painfully made my way along the German trenches towards our own lines - fighting going on all round and very much afraid of being collared by the enemy. At one point a stretcher was obtained, and the two stretcher-bearers tried to carry me over the open, but just as I was being lifted a shell came, a splinter of which blew the unfortunate stretcher-bearer's brains all over me. The other stretcher-bearer then carried me away over the open on his back under a heavy fire some 150 yards - until we reached a trench in our organised front line. Very soon after this I got another stretcher, and after many varied vicissitudes I arrived at Barts where there was a dressing station. From Bart's I was carried to Vermelles, then to Bethune (a very painful dressing and injection there), then to Lillers (for two days) and then on to the No. 20 General Hospital, Etaples.’ (recipient's diary refers).

Appointed a Companion of the Order of St. Michael and St. George, and Mentioned in Despatches, Northey relinquished command of the 6th Battalion on account of his wounds in January 1916, and was replaced as Commanding Officer of the Battalion by Lieutenant-Colonel Winston Churchill. After a year's recuperation, Northey returned to the 6th Battalion in France as Commanding Officer, November 1916 (Churchill having relinquished command in May 1916 in order to return to the House of Commons), and remained on active service until April 1917. He retired with the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, October 1919.

Northey and Churchill

Lieutenant-Colonel Northey relinquished command of the 6th Battalion, Royal Scots Fusiliers following the Battle of Loos, and Winston Churchill was appointed as his successor. It is interesting to parallel Northey's and Churchill's military careers. Both men passed out of the Royal Military College, Sandhurst (only four years apart). In 1897-98, as Lieutenants, both were present in the Punjab Frontier and the Tirah campaign against Afridi insurgents. Later, in the Boer War, Northey, like Churchill, was captured by the Boers and interned as a Prisoner of War. Did Northey and Churchill ever meet? Probably, at a historic reunion of the Regiment on the 1 July 1919, their first post-War Regimental Dinner, with H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, the newly-appointed Colonel-in-Chief, as the guest of honour. Among the 80 guests was Churchill, who toasted the Prince of Wales and spoke of the ‘magnificent spirit that existed in the famous old Regiment, and how much that spirit meant, and would mean in the future.’ Also present was Lieutenant-Colonel Northey, the man Churchill had replaced. An eyewitness wrote: ‘Old friends gripped hands very warmly, but with few words. There was a feeling of reunion and thankfulness, and the regret for those who had gone, and words did not come easily.’ To believe the two commanders did not share a greeting is impossible. They had much in common.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Royal Scots Fusiliers 3 years 4 months ago #72966

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

Hussar Hill, 16 February 1900

“The reconnaissance of 12 February and other information showed Sir Redvers Buller that there were enemy defences that must be taken before he could seriously attack Hlangwane itself; with this object in view orders were issued on 13 February 1900, as follows: It is intended to seize Hussar Hill tomorrow and the spurs to the east of it north of Moord Kraal and to occupy this position with artillery.”
Orders for 2nd Cavalry Brigade.

Lieut.-Gen. The Earl of Dundonald in “My Army Life” later recording:
“Lord Dundonald’s Brigade will cover the movement. It will strike its camp and bivouac on a site which will be pointed out to it. In accordance with these orders I covered the advance; the enemy tried to dispute our seizure of Hussar Hill, but the SA Light Horse under Lt Col Byng by a rapid advance quickly seized a commanding ridge, and assisted by the Company of four Colt guns searched the dongas until the enemy was compelled to retire. The infantry then followed and entrenched the Hill.

On 15 February the infantry and artillery advanced towards Cingolo and Monte Christo, supported by the naval and other guns on Hussar Hill.

My Brigade, in accordance with orders, covered the right and left flanks of the infantry. At nightfall the right of the infantry advance (General Lyttelton’s Division) was about two miles from Cingolo Hill. General Lyttelton reported a strong Boer position towards the nek between Cingolo and Monte Cristo, and he thought he would want more troops to carry it.

On the 16th the guns on Hussar Hill kept up a steady fire on such of the enemy positions as were within range, and a portion of my Brigade reconnoitred the south-eastern base of Cingolo and came under fire; this day I had one regiment on the right flank of the infantry, one on the left and one in rear of the centre.”

QSA (2) TugH, RoL (3124 Corl. F. Williams, 2.R. Scots. Fus.)

Corporal Williams was wounded in the Hussar Hill sortie and invalided back to the UK.

Provenance: Spink Numismatic Circular, September 1973.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Royal Scots Fusiliers 3 years 4 months ago #73007

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next City Coins auction, November 2020

QSA (3) CC, Tug H, RoL (5370 Pte. G. Logan, 2. R. Scots Fus.)

According to the SAFF Casualty Roll Pte Logan was wounded at Pieters Hill on 27 February. The QSA medal roll, signed in August 1901, refers to him as “Invalided”, but the handwritten Natal FF Casualty Roll states “Died of wounds, 28.2.00”. As such he is commemorated on the Memorial Panels in All Saints Church, Ladysmith. Sadly, it has not been determined where he is buried.
Dr David Biggins

6434 Private Richard Samuel Mee - Royal Scots Fusiliers (22nd Mounted Infantry) 2 years 10 months ago #76397

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1165
6434 Private Richard Samuel Mee - Royal Scots Fusiliers (22nd Battalion Mounted Infantry)

Richard was born in 1881 in Nottinghamshire. He joined the Royal Scots Fusiliers at Ayr on the 7th December 1899. Private Richard Samuel Mee was 5ft 5 inches tall with a fresh complexion with brown eyes and dark brown hair. He had no distinguished scars or tattoos. He weighed approximately 8 stone 4 pounds. His religious denomination was Church of England and he came from a family which worked in the printing industry. Private Mee served for 2 years 272 days in total. 2 years and 66 days were in South Africa.
During his time in South Africa, he served with the 22nd Battalion Mounted Infantry and he was severely wounded at Doornfontein on the 13th of January 1902. He received a debilitating gunshot wound to the right shoulder which ended in him being discharged due to being medically unfit for further service. He returned to England in June 1902.

The 2nd Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers sailed on the Pavonia about 22nd October 1899, arrived at the Cape about 18th November, and was immediately sent round to Durban. Along with the 2nd Royal Fusiliers, 1st Royal Welsh Fusiliers, and 2nd Royal Irish Fusiliers, they formed the 6th or Fusilier Brigade under Major General Barton. An account of the work of the brigade is given under 2nd Royal Fusiliers, and of the Natal Army generally under 2nd Queen's, Royal West Surrey.
From December 1900 to May 1901 the battalion was part of the garrison of Johannesburg, forming the outposts for the defence of the town, and holding the water-works, twenty miles outside, —and in the latter month was sent to the Krokodil Valley, holding Nelspruit and other posts, and occasionally coming into action against Boers attempting to blow up the line. In November 1901 the battalion replaced the 2nd East Kent in the column which had been under Colonel Benson, and was taken over by Colonel Mackenzie. The column operated in the Carolina and Ermelo district; and on one occasion the infantry was congratulated by Lord Kitchener for having made the splendid march of thirty-eight miles in twenty hours, a march which led to a considerable capture. In February 1902 part of the battalion was attached to Colonel Allenby's column, which operated towards the Swazi border, thence west towards Standerton. Shortly before peace was declared the battalion came together at Middelburg, where the headquarters had been for some time.
As with many infantry regiments, mounted Infantry battalions were raised and the Royal Scots Fusiliers were part of the 22nd Battalion Mounted Infantry.

Lieutenant - Colonel William Henry Sitwell (Northumberland Fusiliers) served during the Boer War, where he commanded the 9th and 10th Mounted Infantry, 3rd Division, January to August 1900, and afterwards raised the 22nd Battalion Mounted Infantry and commanded a Column of All Arms, March 1901 to May 1902; present in the operations in the Orange Free State, February to May 1900; operations in the Orange River Colony, May to November 1900; and operations in the Transvaal, Orange River Colony, and Cape Colony, November 1900 to May 1902

13 JANUARY 1902 DOORNFONTEIN “Lieutenant-Colonel Sitwell, operating in the Kimberley district, has, during the month of January, covered the passage of two convoys into Griquatown. On the first occasion he met with a somewhat stubborn resistance at Doornfontein, about midway between Campbell and Griquatown, where on the afternoon of the 13th January he was opposed by De Villiers, who, with 400 Boer's , held an entrenched position on a ridge completely commanding- the line of advance. The enemy maintained their ground with great determination, although the 22nd Battalion Mounted Infantry succeeded in establishing themselves within a comparatively short distance of their defences, but at 6.40pm, on the arrival of a small detachment of the Royal Munster Fusiliers the position was carried by a well-executed bayonet charge. The losses in this engagement were 1 Officer and 5 men killed, and 6 men wounded. The Officer in question was Major Randolph Edward Whitehead 1st Royal Munster Fusiliers.

On Private Mee’s return to England, he received a permanent disability pension. He went back to Nottingham and worked as a printer cutter. He resided at Whittier Road Nottingham. He married Martha (Nee Richardson) and had 2 children Thomas & Richard William. Richard Samuel Mee died aged 44 between April/June 1927. Having checked his last address, Whittier Road in Nottingham, lies close to Colwick road and between Richard Mee’s last address there are 3 streets, – Kimberley Street, Mafeking Street and Ladysmith Street. Perhaps a poignant reminder for him during his service in South Africa?
Private R S Mee was awarded his QSA with 3 clasps – Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Transvaal. These are correct on roll dated 1901 relating to his time with the 22nd Battalion Mounted Inf. However, I cannot find his date clasp entitlement which is a little annoying. I have searched under Royal Scots Fusiliers and changed the surname to Mees, Mays, May & Smee but no luck. If anyone can help solve the mystery, I would be grateful. He may have added them at a later date. However, they are riveted correct and not wired or loose.

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Royal Scots Fusiliers 2 years 9 months ago #76979

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (2649 Pte. R. Blyth [sic], 2:R. Scots Fus.);
KSA (2) (2649 Pte. R. Blythe. Rl Scots Fus:)
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 2.128 seconds