Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46320

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
Single KSA medals are usually not prominent on the “favourites list” of medal collectors.
However, I would like to open a new topic to show that some examples, when suitably researched, can be highly collectable

• KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: 3125 Pte. W. Jones. Glouc: Regt.
On p185 of “Our Regiments in South Africa” by J Stirling, a “generally very reliable” War Correspondent is quoted:
“Last Monday night (19th) a brilliant piece of work was performed by the Gloucesters. During the afternoon they approached within a short distance of a Boer kopje and contained the enemy until nightfall, when 120 men charged the kopje with bayonets and drove off the Boers with loss, bayonetting several.”
Pte Jones was one of 20 men wounded in this action at Paardeberg on 19 February 1900. They also lost 5 men killed.
Jones’ wound obviously healed successfully: although he was not in action with his Regiment at Driefontein on 10 March 1900, he did receive a QSA with bars Paardeberg, Relief of Kimberley and Transvaal

• KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: 3626 Corpl: B. Knowles, Rl: Scots Fus
On 27 August 1901, near Alkmaar, Pte B Knowles and Pte W Galon were part of the garrison of a blockhouse consisting of seven men in the vicinity of a train derailed and attacked by the enemy. They volunteered to go out and defend the train, which they did, and kept the enemy off till support arrived. (London Gazette, 3 December 1901, p8548).
Both men were promoted Corporal by the Commander-in-Chief.
Pte Knowles was wounded at Pieters Hill on 27 Feb 1900 and died of disease at Ermelo on 25 March 1902.
His QSA had 5 bars: CC, TugH, OFS, RoL & Tvl

Henk
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46321

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
I've never seriously thought about singleton KSA's probably because I know that there's a QSA lurking out there somewhere.

You might just be changing my mind with those beauties Henk - they really are special.

It has always made me sad to think that, no matter what the reason was, these medals have been split from each other which I'm sure would not have been the recipients intention.

Regards

Rory

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46322

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
My Brags!

Both illustrated on the Indian Contingent thread. Both my favourite collection of medal ribbons

Bishan Das, Indian Postal Department

Veterinary Assistant Mohamed Suliman. S&TC
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46323

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Impressive stuff David!

If I may ask - it might be my imagination but the medal groups issued to and earned by Indian participants seem, for the most part, to be very broken up.

Is there a cogent reason for this at all?

Regards

Rory

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46327

• Henk Loots
  • Henk Loots's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 442
Hi
Two more for the topic:

• KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02 : 3269 Pte. J. Peat, Highland L.I.
Pte Peat, together with 2 other men, were mentioned in Lt-Gen Methuen’s Magersfontein Despatch for “excellent service and setting a good example to their comrades” (LG 16 March 100, p1788). He was again mentioned in Earl Roberts’ Despatch of 4 September 1901 as having “rendered special and meritorious service” (LG 10 September 1901, p5949).
His missing QSA has 3 bars: Modder River, Paardeberg and Wittebergen

• KSA, 2 bars SA’01, SA’02: 88787 Corpl: H.E. Bradish , R.F.A.
Bombardier Bradish, according to the Mention published in the London Gazette of 25 April 1902 (p2773), was serving in the Rl Artillery Mtd Infantry, 37th Battery.
“A patrol, being surrounded near Braklaagte, Orange River Colony, on 12 January 1902, (he) volunteered to carry message for assistance, and rode through very heavy fire to do so.”
As a result he was promoted Corporal by the Commander-in-Chief..
In addition to a QSA with bars CC, OFS & Tvl, Bradish also qualified for a bronze 1902 Coronation Medal (the KSA roll page has a remark “Sent home for Coronation”)

Henk
Attachments:

Single KSA medals 7 years 11 months ago #46328

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Good thread Henk. I believe KSAs are underrated, they indicate 18 months minimum service (with the two bars of course), during a very hard and grueling part of the war. As you have demonstrated they "hide" some great service.

My contributions:

Lieutenant Arthur Richard Gedye, Herschel Native Police - QSA as SSM 331 Protectorate Regiment - Defence of Mafeking, OFS & T (also Commander-in-Chief's Bodyguard and Kitchener's Fighting Scouts. Aside from the Mafeking connection there are just 37 KSAs to the Herschel Native Police. A Mafeking defender for £100???

Trooper 2069 Charles Harrold Johannesburg Mounted Rifles - QSA as Trpr 9428 54 (Belfast) Company IY - CC,OFS,T. POW Lindley May 1900

Private 2953 Samuel Hemmingway, Manchester Regiment - QSA Belfast, Elandslaagte. Wounded Elandslaagte 21-10-1899

and a single KSA with a BWM & VM:

Sergeant 2508 FC Newton BSAP - QSA Defence of Mafeking,T. (sold DNW 1999 & 2003) Wounded Cannon Kopje 31-10-1899. Also entitled to BSAC medal and 1914-15 Star - served with Brand's Free State Rifles. Another Mafeking defender for a fraction of the cost of the QSA.

Happy hunting!
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.237 seconds