Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 4 years 6 months ago #65749

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
His death certainly seems to have struck a chord with the people of Ladysmith at the time.

SWB wrote: In the Black & White Budget for May 5, 1900 there is a picture of a memorial to Egerton "in Stockport Church". I have been unable to find this "Stockport Church". Looking at the NIWM record for the memorial in Forest Peak the description and inscription match that tablet illustrated in B&W.

Begs the question, would this memorial have been moved from Stockport to Forest Peak?

The article in The Derbyshire Times (6th January 1900) includes the following: - "The Vicar of Peak Forest (the Rev George Rogerson) is executing the lettering and fixing."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 3 years 11 months ago #68507

• DulcetTone
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The Royal Navy created a Commander Egerton Prize in 1901-- an annual award given to the Royal Naval Officer who, when qualifying for Gunnery Lieutenant, passed the best examination in practical Gunnery.

Such persons as Admiral of the Fleet Bruce Fraser would win it.

tone

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 3 years 11 months ago #68510

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
Excellent addition! Thank you. I wonder if each winner received any sort of physical certificate or written notice of the award.

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 3 years 2 months ago #74527

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1905
Hello all,

Many years ago (December 2006), I thought I had purchased Commander Egerton's sword. Sadly, the item never turned up. To cut a long story short, the police got involved, the eBay seller ended up in court and I got my money back. The police impounded the seller's entire stock, but Commander Egerton's sword was never found.
F.G.E. is a distant cousin of mine (my second name is Egerton).

Here is a small watercolour of him, framed as a memorial:

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 3 years 2 months ago #74528

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1905
And a cabinet photograph

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Frederick G. Egerton, H.M.S. Powerful - died of wounds at Ladysmith, 2.11.1899 6 months 2 weeks ago #91967

• MikeEdis
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 16
I came across this site researching the background to the Memorial to Lt Egerton in St Mary's Church. Byfleet - I am a churchwarden there and am visiting a game reserve next to Ladysmith next month. The reference to him being killed there - 250km from the sea yet being a Naval officer - sparked my curiosity. I have worshipped at St Mary's for over 40 years and had no idea we had such a significant war memorial in the building. You will see it has been beautifully maintained. I've had to post a link because the file size is too big and loses quality if I compress it. I'm planning to visit the Siege Museum, his grave and the Lady Anne Battery plaque when I'm there.

1drv.ms/i/s!As70RqWN-6p9g2TOCXNa1Trldcyy?e=oCgnCD

The connection to Byfleet is that his parents lived on and owned St George's Hill in Weybridge which is in our parish. They are buried in our church yard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie, Rory, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.608 seconds