Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

London Stock Exchange 4 years 8 months ago #65187

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Berenice

According to war memorials online, the original memorial is in store: www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/130583

Let hope it is safe.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

London Stock Exchange 4 years 8 months ago #65212

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
This sort of thing annoys me, invariably, an original memorial is better, in terms of overall quality and attention to detail, I wish people would leave them alone.

London Stock Exchange 4 years 8 months ago #65213

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879

Frank Kelley wrote: This sort of thing annoys me, invariably, an original memorial is better, in terms of overall quality and attention to detail, I wish people would leave them alone.

Hi Frank.....

I agree about original but I know of a memorial which was made out of brass and has been stolen a couple of times so they switched to cast aluminum and had it painted brass and it has not been stolen yet after 10 years..... The original brass one is inside the building it represents.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

London Stock Exchange 4 years 8 months ago #65225

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Frank
Similar stealing of brass/bronze plaques (mainly WW1) occurred here a few years ago. Replacements were re-cast in resin in some cases. And remain untouched.
Regards
IL.

London Stock Exchange 4 years 8 months ago #65226

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Having an hour or so to spare - and breaking out references - here goes:

ARMFIELD, H.W. PTE K.R.R (3712, Died of injuries, Ladysmith, 23/4/01 - Volunteer Coy).
BAILEY, E.B., Cpt, Sherwood Fors (4th Bn., SF, slightly wounded Roodeval, 7/6/00, died of injuries from accidental fall, Pt. Eliz., 15.2.01)
BLOOMFIELD, J. PTE, IY (4693, Died of disease, Marandellas, 12/6/00. 17th IY)
BOULTBEE, P.D., Cpl., I.Y. (no apparent entry in Palmer, 22486, Cpl., 22 Coy., 2 I.Y.)
BOYLE, C.W., Capt., Oxford Hrs (Lt., Killed in action, Tweefontein, 5/4/00 10th I.Y. - was the first I.Y. officer to fall in the war)
BRISTOWE, T. Pte., Paget's Hse (26039, Died of disease, Johannesburg 3.4.02. 12 I.Y.)
BROOKS, S.F., Lt., E.Surrey ( Died of disease, Newcastle 9/6/00 Enteric fever. Volunteer Coy)
EADY, G.J.H., Loch's Hse (2, LH., PoW, Jhb., 22/5/00 and released. Died of Disease, Jhb., 10/11/00)
HOLLAND, M.W., Pte., C.I.V. (1488 Pte., Killed in action, Brandfort 3/5/00 C.I.V.)
HOSKIER, F.H., Lt-Col, Mdsx Art Vol. (Killed in action, near Schoneman's farm, 23.2.00, 3rd Mx V. Art)
IRVIN, D.W., Lt., I.Y. (Died of Disease, enteric at Harrismith 19.3.02 9th I.Y.. Memorial in St. Paul's Cathedral)
LASKIE, A.D., Pte, I.Y., (13315, Killed in action, near Jacobstal, 12.12.00. 19 I.Y.)
LIPSCOMBE, A.D., Pte. I.Y. (13462, Dang. wounded, Hartbeestefontein, 16.2.01. Died of disease, 18.2. 19th I.Y.)
MORRIS, R. H., Pte, Kitchener's Scouts (Killed in action, Komfiesdoorn, 27.8.01. KFS)
ROBBINS, D.G., Lt., I.Y. (Killed in action near Standerton, 22.8.01 , 21 I.Y. Memorial in St. Paul's Cathedral)
ROSE, B.T., Cpt., Thorneycroft's M.I. (Died of disease, PMburg., 30/3/00 enteric. He did splendid service on Spion Kop).
STAPYLTON, B., Pte., Paget's Hse. (13400, severely wounded, Lichtenvburg 12.3.01. Died 13.3. 19th I.Y.)
WATNEY, J.S. Lt., I.Y. (Killed in action while leading a charge, Tweefontein, 25.12.01. 11th I.Y.)
WESTON, F.S., Pte., I.Y. (possibly 3824, Died of disease, Kroonstad. 13.8.00. 12th I.Y.)
WHITE, A.C., Pte., I.Y. (unable to locate - will dig further, later)
WOLESLEY, H.J., Pte., Imp.Lt. Hse( n/n Pte. Wolseley, Killed in action, Elandslaagte, 21.10.99. Biggins roll shows "465, Hubert Joseph, Wolseley)
WOOD-GORDON, Capt. I.Y. (probably Capt., Killed in action, Botha's farm, 20/10.00. 5th., I.Y.
WOODFORDE-FINDEN, Paget's Hse (unable to locate on first go, will search further and link shows Killed in action at Faber's Put, 30.5.00)).
YOUNG, J. Pte., I.Y. (possibly 29776, severely wounded, Elandslaagte near Klerksdorp, 25.2.02 and died of wounds. 5th I.Y.)

Regards to all interested
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK

London Stock Exchange 4 years 8 months ago #65227

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
Well with the increasing price of metals I'm not surprised really, but, I do think it is a very sad state when people steal or damage a memorial, as I said, I wish people would leave them alone.
Regards Frank

LinneyI wrote: Frank
Similar stealing of brass/bronze plaques (mainly WW1) occurred here a few years ago. Replacements were re-cast in resin in some cases. And remain untouched.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.691 seconds