Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

London Stock Exchange 4 years 7 months ago #65233

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
As previously said Frank...… Stolen, replaced with brass, stolen again don\t know if it was the same person and then replaced with painted cast aluminum..... Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Mike, I am confused, when you say stolen a couple of times, was that stolen and subsequently recovered, before being stolen again, or, stolen from the original thief by yet another thief?:ohmy:

quote="QSAMIKE" post=65213]

Frank Kelley wrote: This sort of thing annoys me, invariably, an original memorial is better, in terms of overall quality and attention to detail, I wish people would leave them alone.

Hi Frank.....

I agree about original but I know of a memorial which was made out of brass and has been stolen a couple of times so they switched to cast aluminum and had it painted brass and it has not been stolen yet after 10 years..... The original brass one is inside the building it represents.....

Mike

[/quote]
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

London Stock Exchange 4 years 7 months ago #65234

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

LinneyI wrote: Frank
SWB
My useful I.Y. CD does not show anything for "Baultbee, P.D.": however, it does show "24486 Cpl. Boultbee, Philip Duncan" of 22 Coy., 2 Bn., IY. (note the regimental number differs by one digit).
Palmer and SAFF both show "24487 Baultbee, P., Cpl., Died of Disease, Aliwal North, 19.2.01. 2nd I.Y."
While I willingly spend the time necessary to trawl through my sources to add whatever details I can about those Soldiers, sometimes an Ouija board might be handy. No disrespect intended to those men who fell.
Regards
IL.

No need for a Ouija board - just ditch SAFF and Palmer as they are full of inaccuracies and errors.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

London Stock Exchange 4 years 7 months ago #65236

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294

LinneyI wrote: Having an hour or so to spare - and breaking out references - here goes:

WOODFORDE-FINDEN, Paget's Hse (unable to locate on first go, will search further and link shows Killed in action at Faber's Put, 30.5.00)).

IL, try "Finden, Eric Woodford 27612 Trooper"

Double-barrelled names can be confusing. Some records use the hyphen, others don't, so maybe some double-barrelled surnames weren't official, just unofficially adopted by a family or an individual.

London Stock Exchange 4 years 7 months ago #65237

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448

BereniceUK wrote:

LinneyI wrote: Having an hour or so to spare - and breaking out references - here goes:

WOODFORDE-FINDEN, Paget's Hse (unable to locate on first go, will search further and link shows Killed in action at Faber's Put, 30.5.00)).

IL, try "Finden, Eric Woodford 27612 Trooper"

Double-barrelled names can be confusing. Some records use the hyphen, others don't, so maybe some double-barrelled surnames weren't official, just unofficially adopted by a family or an individual.

As in Ancestry (and Palmer and SAFF), another inaccuracy:

Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
Attachments:

London Stock Exchange 4 years 7 months ago #65253

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
Okay, I was confused because of way you worded the original post, so it was actually replaced and that replacement was also stolen, it is unfortunate there ae people who have no propriety whatsoever, to deface or remove a memorial to the dead is truly sickening.
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: As previously said Frank...… Stolen, replaced with brass, stolen again don\t know if it was the same person and then replaced with painted cast aluminum..... Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Mike, I am confused, when you say stolen a couple of times, was that stolen and subsequently recovered, before being stolen again, or, stolen from the original thief by yet another thief?:ohmy:

quote="QSAMIKE" post=65213]

Frank Kelley wrote: This sort of thing annoys me, invariably, an original memorial is better, in terms of overall quality and attention to detail, I wish people would leave them alone.

Hi Frank.....

I agree about original but I know of a memorial which was made out of brass and has been stolen a couple of times so they switched to cast aluminum and had it painted brass and it has not been stolen yet after 10 years..... The original brass one is inside the building it represents.....

Mike

[/quote]

London Stock Exchange 4 years 2 months ago #67611

• BereniceUK
  • BereniceUK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2294
SCENE ON THE STOCK EXCHANGE.

A disgraceful incident occurred yesterday on the Stock Exchange. It seems that a rumour was circulated in the morning to the effect that two clerks who have volunteered for service in South Africa had been informed by their employers that they would only be paid up to the time of leaving their work, and that their places would not be retained for them. Several younger members of the Stock Exchange therefore decided on showing their displeasure at such ungenerous conduct, as they deemed it. Meanwhile, it appears that the rumour in question had reached the ears of the junior partner of the firm, and it is further stated that he had ben threatened. He therefore wrote out a statement explaining the matter, and pointing out that the allegations referred to were absolutely untrue. On entering the "House," however, he was not allowed to read this statement or to have it read, but was hissed and hooted; and having, it is said, been seriously assaulted, he was ejected from the premises. The firm in question bears a German name, but it is stated that the members are not Germans. As the result of the outrage, which was severely censured by every respectable member of the Stock Exchange who heard of it, legal proceedings are said to be contemplated.

The Times, Tuesday 16th January 1900

Another report, from a regional newspaper published the following day, which has some differences.

SCENE ON THE LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE.

Indignant Englishmen.

A remarkable scene occurred on the London Stock Exchange on Monday afternoon. One of the clerks of a firm of stock brokers, whose partners are Germans, had volunteered and been accepted for active service. The partners, it is alleged, had departed from the custom of other stockbroking firms, namely, to keep the man's place open and to give him a present on his departure, and had refused to promise him employment on his return. When one of the partners of the firm made his appearance on the floor of the House on Monday afternoon the whole House "went for" him. He was hustled and booted, knocked down and kicked. He fainted on the ground, but when he came to he was again maltreated. Such a scene is unprecedented.

Morecambe Visitor, Wednesday 17th January 1900

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.471 seconds