TOPIC:

February 24th 12 years 1 month ago #2366

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Ladysmith siege day 115 (96%). Mafeking siege day 135 (62%).
1901 - De Wet crosses the railway near Orange River Station.
1902 - Von Donop's convoy captured by De la Rey at Yzer Spruit.

In Mafeking:

Rain continuing, gun and owners still depressed. No news received for ten days and great universal anxiety felt for anticipated decisive intelligence.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 24th 8 years 1 month ago #45363

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Filthy, rotten, mealie meal bread again. We can not, and we will not eat it. — Buller was shelling Bulwan all yesterday afternoon. He is at it again this morning. I don’t think he will do much execution. I have no faith in the big guns. We expect to be released today, or tomorrow. It’s high time we were, for we are getting like skeletons, and as weak as children. We are being poisoned by having to eat rotten bread, utterly unfit for human food. It seems to me, it was the first duty both of White arid Buller, to see to the victualling of the town, since it was by the inefficiency of the army, our railways, bridges, and waterworks have been destroyed. This was not the fault of the soldiers, but of the Imperial government, which left us with a force of 6,000 men to fight 50,000 of the best marksmen in the world, aided by the best cannon and gunners of the continental armies.—The mayor has just sent a printed circular, ordering all eggs to be sent to the town office, for the sick in the hospital. If this is not done, every person’s fowls will be seized, by order of the general. We have about ten fowls, but only two of them lay. This is tyranny with a vengeance. The soldiers have stolen nearly all the fowls in the town, and now we are farther robbed by the general. All through the war, we have been worse treated by our own soldiers, than the rebels would have treated us. I have learned more about soldiers within the last six months, than I ever knew before, and my conviction is they are thieves, from the general to the drummer boy, and looked upon what they call civilians as infinitely beneath them, and only to be plundered and made use offer the benefit of the army. — Dunton’s fine new store, smashed by a shell yesterday. — No more tobacco, so I have to take to dried leaves from the peach trees, as a substitute.
Dr David Biggins

February 24th 7 years 1 month ago #52177

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

No news. Little firing to be heard. Rumoured that Column has been sighted, but I shall not be satisfied that it is so until I see or hear it closer in. This afternoon or Sunday were given as moral certainties as to Buller’s arrival. Still the days pass leaving us to our sorry fate. Busy getting papers together. Still bothered with pain in my right side - trying a blister this evening so retire early. Two Doctors died today, one attached to the Gordons here, the other was at work at the Intomba.
Dr David Biggins

February 24th 7 years 1 month ago #52178

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

No fresh news today. More firing in the distance this morning, not so much during the afternoon. At times the booming, when very heavy, is like continuous thunder.

Captain Walker, a surgeon in the Gordon Highlanders, died this morning of enteric. It was a great shock to us because he was attending Uncle Bill some little time ago, and then Mr, Carson and some other patients. Bert has him at the cottage. I saw him before he gave in and that was only four days ago. He came to Bert's in a dhoolie, but it was decided that he had better go up to the Congregational Church Hospital. He was only ill for a few days. It is awfully sad, he was a married man too.

Major Karri Davis and Mr. Normand came this afternoon. The Major has taken my tea cloth away to have some designs drawn on it.

Wilfrid, I am afraid, is not much better tonight, although he seemed much better this afternoon.
Dr David Biggins

February 24th 7 years 1 month ago #52180

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Again, the privations endured come to the fore.

djb wrote: From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

Filthy, rotten, mealie meal bread again. We can not, and we will not eat it. — Buller was shelling Bulwan all yesterday afternoon. He is at it again this morning. I don’t think he will do much execution. I have no faith in the big guns. We expect to be released today, or tomorrow. It’s high time we were, for we are getting like skeletons, and as weak as children. We are being poisoned by having to eat rotten bread, utterly unfit for human food. It seems to me, it was the first duty both of White arid Buller, to see to the victualling of the town, since it was by the inefficiency of the army, our railways, bridges, and waterworks have been destroyed. This was not the fault of the soldiers, but of the Imperial government, which left us with a force of 6,000 men to fight 50,000 of the best marksmen in the world, aided by the best cannon and gunners of the continental armies.—The mayor has just sent a printed circular, ordering all eggs to be sent to the town office, for the sick in the hospital. If this is not done, every person’s fowls will be seized, by order of the general. We have about ten fowls, but only two of them lay. This is tyranny with a vengeance. The soldiers have stolen nearly all the fowls in the town, and now we are farther robbed by the general. All through the war, we have been worse treated by our own soldiers, than the rebels would have treated us. I have learned more about soldiers within the last six months, than I ever knew before, and my conviction is they are thieves, from the general to the drummer boy, and looked upon what they call civilians as infinitely beneath them, and only to be plundered and made use offer the benefit of the army. — Dunton’s fine new store, smashed by a shell yesterday. — No more tobacco, so I have to take to dried leaves from the peach trees, as a substitute.

February 24th 7 years 1 month ago #52181

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Truly shocking and I suppose comparable to the Crimean War, it certainly makes me think when I look at a humble Defence of Ladysmith recipient.

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

No fresh news today. More firing in the distance this morning, not so much during the afternoon. At times the booming, when very heavy, is like continuous thunder.

Captain Walker, a surgeon in the Gordon Highlanders, died this morning of enteric. It was a great shock to us because he was attending Uncle Bill some little time ago, and then Mr, Carson and some other patients. Bert has him at the cottage. I saw him before he gave in and that was only four days ago. He came to Bert's in a dhoolie, but it was decided that he had better go up to the Congregational Church Hospital. He was only ill for a few days. It is awfully sad, he was a married man too.

Major Karri Davis and Mr. Normand came this afternoon. The Major has taken my tea cloth away to have some designs drawn on it.

Wilfrid, I am afraid, is not much better tonight, although he seemed much better this afternoon.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.446 seconds