TOPIC:

February 5th 12 years 1 month ago #2190

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
1900 - Kimberley siege day 114 (91%). Ladysmith siege day 96 (80%). Mafeking siege day 116 (53%). Buller captures Vaalkrantz.
1902 - Convoy under Major Crofton captured by Malan at Uitspanfontein, near Beaufort West.

In Kimberley:

A quiet day as far as the town was concerned. Shelling went on at intervals during the day at Kenilworth, Otto’s Kopje No 1 Kimberley and Premier Mine. No damage and no casualties.

I received the following by helio and search light.

“From GOC to Kekewich. Please acknowledge message from Lord Roberts January 31st received inform Chief of Staff.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 5th No 171. Yesterday’s news little sniping by enemy at cattle guard West town also at picquet Coolie gardens. 6 pm column smoke seen East Railway believed explosion.”

“From Kekewich to Swordpen. Cape Town. Feb 5th No 172. Please inform Lady Cecil despatches from Mafeking dated Dec 27 received note from Lord Cecil says he quite well.”

“From Kekewich to Genl Methuen. Feb 5th No 173. Please inform FM last census forty six thousand last check remaining breadstuffs just completed more satisfactory than I expected. At present reduced ration quantity would last till middle March, but quality some of it owing to weevils worms bad, and I may have to increase ration for natives, which only existence and not working ration. Stop. Forage will be quite exhausted by end February and grazing so bad and limited it would by then be difficult keep military animals alive. Stop. All inhabitants have now to live on reduced ration, few remaining groceries being issued on doctor’s certificate for sick only. Stop. Fear time much when no extras will remain for sick. Stop. Latest situation re fuel already represented. Stop. Other questions have to be reckoned with EG. Enemy have many Dutch sympathizers in ton increasing danger of incendiarism. Large majority of those serving in Town Guard have families here, privations of families dangers to them from shelling whilst men manning defences influences defenders in way regular troops not influenced. Failure to get natives through Boer lines aggravated situation as regards blacks since Boers have attempted to persuade those sent back to loot town. Stop. Spirit and determination has been good hitherto, but regret murmurings are beginning to be heard some unrest also prevails among blacks. Danger is patience of Town Guard and inhabitants under privations may be exhausted before supplies in town will of course report re this matter time to time.”

“From Int KB to Int MD. Feb 5th No 174. Your I 31 Feb 4 received matter receiving attention will report action taken.”

Heavier shelling than usual was heard from the relief column guns this morning; in the afternoon a few shells were seen to burst in a line South of Spitz Kof.

The depot for medical comforts, (every grocery such as butter cheese, jams etc are such now) is working well. Nothing is issued except for the sick and on a doctor’s certificate and the exact period for which the comfort is to last is given. I wish much my stock of these was larger.

There was nothing but the very worst “Cape smoke” left in the town; and in consequence the drunkenness has much increased of late.”

In Ladysmith:

The noise of guns boomed all day from the Tugela. It sounded as though a battle was raging along miles of its banks, from Colenso right away west to Potgieter's Drift. I could see big shells bursting again on Taba Nyama and the low nek above the ford. Further to the left they were bursting around Monger's Hill, nearly half-way along the bank to Colenso. From early morning the fire increased in intensity, reaching its height between 3 and 4 p.m. At half-past four the firing suddenly slackened and stopped. That seems like victory, but we can only hope.

In Mafeking:

Two lots of runners came in from the north this morning. Personally, I received my first communication from home since the siege began, only a wire though. Quite a number of letters came in, but were very unequally distributed. One receiving a dozen, the vast majority none, Hanbury Tracey was exceptionally fortunate, as he received a money-lender's circular and a bill, re-addressed in red ink, from his, orderly room at home, and that was his sole communication. They shelled us as usual, and kept it up late. A wet night, but that did not seem to deter them. Their incendiary shells were, as usual, a failure.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

February 5th 8 years 1 month ago #45128

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the diary of William Watson, Ladysmith, February 1900:

A battle began at 5 o’clock, and still goes on. It has lasted three hours. Rifles, cannon, and maxims are in it. It is not very near. — Many shells coming into the town. —It is rumoured that Colesberg (Cape Colony) has surrendered to our troops, also 5 000 prisoners. We don’t want prisoners, they have to be fed. — A Natal newspaper said to have been suppressed for publishing war news, unauthorizedly. — Today’s is a big fight, toward Colenso.
Dr David Biggins

February 5th 7 years 1 month ago #51792

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another day come and gone. No night attack here but heavy cannonading in the distance from early morning until dusk tonight, but it sounded no nearer. _ I wonder if we will hear the result tomorrow. ’Wilfrid no better. I am afraid it is enteric. Dr. Currie's temperature is very high tonight. I am afraid it is the same. I am told a tin of condensed milk fetched 30/- at the market on Saturday night.

Some shells from the Umbulwana fell in town this morning, two in Bert's garden again. About 15, I think someone said.

A kaffir came for the doctor at our Hospital this morning. He said a friend of his had had his leg hurt with a splinter.
Dr David Biggins

February 5th 7 years 1 month ago #51793

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the diary of Trooper A J Crosby, Natal Carbineers

No early morning tea for the past two days. 8 o’clock porridge (without milk) tea and bread. 11 o’clock Chevril (made from horse flesh). Heavy cannonading from advancing column since 5.30. Still pounding merrily away. An attack was expected on Ladysmith last night. Every man capable of holding a gun had to stand to arms, but everything was quiet. It is supposed that the enemy have all their work in defending Buller’s attack. Hope the latter will give them fits. 5 men, 2 Carbineers, Samuelson (Solicitor) Serg. Comins (Farmer), 1 B.M.R., 1 N.M.P. and one Hotchkiss gunner, were shifted from my tent to make room for worse cases. Tanner and myself are now convalescent and hope to get moved soon. Passed fairly good night.
Dr David Biggins

February 5th 7 years 1 month ago #51794

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
1900 - From the letters writer by Lt Col Park in Ladysmith

5th February. - The new horse soup, known as “Chevril", is most excellent stuff, and tastes like the best beef-tea. We had a big jorum after route marching on Saturday night, and it was just like the good soup one gets before going home from a dance. Some of the men won’t touch it, simply because they know it is horse, silly idiots; but the majority like it and clamour for more. Things are looking much more rosy again, and a good deal of comforting news - mostly only shaves - came round yesterday. We hear that Buller wired home positively stating that Ladysmith would be relieved by the 10th, and that this had been announced in Parliament. Also that he was going to begin a big attack today, and, sure enough, heavy guns have been firing all the morning from two directions, if not three, and he is said to have got across the Tugela at more than one new place and to have seized a position on this side.

There is also a rumour that General French has captured Colesberg and about 5000 prisoners, but it lacks confirmation. All our sick and wounded officers in hospital are now convalescent, and are sitting up and crawling out a bit. They say that Byrne, Scafe and Kane, and perhaps Masterson, will be sent to Maritzburg for a fortnight’s change, and Gunning and Caffin will be sent home. I am much better and am eating meat again, there being little else to eat; I feel rather weak and slack, but I am really all right.

There was a great scare last night of a big expected attack on our defences at dawn this morning, and we were all up at 3 a.m. and under arms waiting for them, but they evidently thought better of it, as there was even less firing than usual. I didn’t think it was very probable myself, as the Boers are fully occupied with Buller at present. They have been seen trekking off north in twos and threes for some days, and the headquarters say that there are not more than 15,000 or 16,000 of them left round here and in front of Buller and that he ought to be able to drive them in now with double that number. Our fourteenth week of siege finished today, and a year ago I was landing at Bombay from the “Nubia”. Taken all round, 1899 was not a nice year at all. We barely had three months together out of the whole of it, and that was nearly all hot weather. 1900 has, so far, been as bad as possible, but, please God, it will be very much better before long, and I hope there will be no more separation, as, if the regiment gets back in time, I can take the three months special leave they are sure to give for the war, and we can go home together and come back together after the summer holidays.
Dr David Biggins

February 5th 7 years 1 month ago #51795

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Thirty shillings for a tin of milk?
Good gracious, I shall never feel short changed and hard done to, in Marks & Spencer again!

djb wrote: 1900 - From the diary of Miss Bella Craw in Ladysmith

Another day come and gone. No night attack here but heavy cannonading in the distance from early morning until dusk tonight, but it sounded no nearer. _ I wonder if we will hear the result tomorrow. ’Wilfrid no better. I am afraid it is enteric. Dr. Currie's temperature is very high tonight. I am afraid it is the same. I am told a tin of condensed milk fetched 30/- at the market on Saturday night.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds