The PAG was named in honour of Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.
The Mounted portion of the Prince Alfred's Guard came from the Prince Alfred's Own Volunteer Rifles and was formed on 11 Feb 1900 from two sections of the infantry and detatched from the infantry from that date. During the time it was detached from the infantry headquarters, it was regarded as a separate unit - except with regards to drawing pay.
The PAGMI saw service in OFS and Transvaal.
The Prince Alfred's Guards museum is in Port Elizabeth.
- Next >>