Royal Navy and ships
- Parent Category: Units
- Hits: 2153
- 1st Class twin screw cruiser. Sister ship of HMS Terrible.
- Displacement: 14,200 tons.
- Speed: 22 Knots, 25,000 HP
- Compliment: 894
- Armament: Two 9.2 inch guns, twelve 6-inch guns, sixteen 12 pdr QF, twelve 3 pounder QF, four 18 -inch Torpedo Tubes (submerged)
- Served between October 1899 and March 1900. Commanded by Captain the Honorable Hedworth Lambton CB.
The Powerful and Terrible were the largest cruisers in the world during the late 1890's. HMS Powerful was built by the Naval Construction and Armaments Company in Barrow-in-Furness and launched on the 24th July 1895. She was built to compete with the newest Russian Cruisers. Both HMS powerful and HMS Terrible proved very very expensive to build and cost twice the cost of the Edger class built a few years earlier. HMS Powerful started service in the China Station and in 1899 landed naval brigades to participate in the relief of Ladysmith. She was refitted between 1902 and 1904 when she went into the reserve fleet. She was used for harbour service in 1912 and from 1915 she was used as a training ship until the late 1920's. She was renamed HMS Impregnable II in Nov 1919 and finally scrapped on 31 Aug 1929.