Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Thring, Alfred Lester. Veldkornet 7 years 7 months ago #48353

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello all
Having many family members who hail from the Kroonstad area since prior to the British invasion of the Free State I can relate the following; According to Mrs Dot Serfontein's book AL Thring owned a general dealer's store Thring & Co. in Reitz street, Kroonstad. The store was sold to my Gr. grandfather who changed the name to "C Thorne & sons" in either 1895 or 96;
unfortuanately the business failed as result of the war and not being able to secure stock from suppliers. I have a letterhead of the business.
On my mother's side of the family D R Whitfield, one of the brothers, and the eldest Thorne brother, Vic enlisted in Kimberley joining the British Colonials, while of the 5 Cawood brothers some joined Kroonstad Kommando while others joined Brabant's Hse.
Family legend has it that..... VK Thring had a time of it, recruiting members for the Kroonstad Kommando and despite a Free State Republican obligation to join up VK Thring was constantly under pressure from certain burgers to be relieved of their military obligation by giving letters of reprieve. I was also led to understand that VK Thring became Colonel Thring??
What has happened to the medals??
I'd welcome any further information from Forum members especially Henk Loots. regards Evyn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thring, Alfred Lester. Veldkornet 7 years 6 months ago #48942

• FSburgher
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi Elmarie
Tkx so much and what a pleasure it is for me to read your Character reports on the BW Forum. :)
Col Thring of Kroonstad was in the Kroonstad Rifle Club bisley team together with my Gr grandfather Alfred Leo Whitfield prior to the Boer war.
There is a family photo with the two Alfreds in a bisley team photo circa 1897. Alfred W. was killed in an ambush outside Kroonstad in Feb 1901.
Col Thring’s medals are in a collection in Jhb.
I look forward to hearing from you again soon. :)
regards
Evyn

Thring, Alfred Lester. Veldkornet 7 years 6 months ago #48950

• Elmarie
  • Thank you received: 950
SGT MAJ A.L. WHITFIELD

Elmarie Malherbe
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, FSburgher

Thring, Alfred Lester. Veldkornet 7 years 3 months ago #51445

• sahpa2000
  • Never, ever, ever give up!!!
  • Thank you received: 29
Thank you for Nico Moolman from FBABO

Three Rock tough Kroonstad Boer Commander/Warriors..
Commdt De Vos, Head Commdt De Wet and Veldkornet Thring

Boer Leiers Hoë Gehalte kiekie
Regards
Eric de Jager(SAHPA2000)
South African History Protection Association
Since 2000
The following user(s) said Thank You: Elmarie

Thring, Alfred Lester. Veldkornet 1 year 10 months ago #83441

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
The Thring Brothers, Alfred Lester & Frederick Lester.
The Thring brothers were the sons of Alfred Lester Thring and the Thrings were a famous Natal family. They fought on opposite sides at the battle of Rietfontein
Lieut FL Thring in command of No 3 Squadron, Border Mounted Rifles, who was besieged in Ladysmith. 1864 - 1909 died at the young age of 45, probably from the rigours of the Ladysmith siege.
Veld Kornet Alfred Lester Thring had settled in Kroonstad in the OVS and chose to serve with the Kroonstad Commando who were involved in the siege of Ladysmith, Alfred Thring's place of birth.
The Kroonstad Commando also fought at Magersfontein
In WWI, Alfred Thring went on to serve in the Vrijstaatse Schutters (1st Regiment) Union Defence Force Rank: Lieutenant Colonel Kroonstadt Commando and was awarded the Distinguished Service Order.
Born 1857-1939
"The only vestige of real military discipline that was to be found in the entire Boer army was that which was maintained by Field-Cornet A.L.
Thring, of the Kroonstad commando, who had a roll-call and inspection of rifles every morning. This extraordinary procedure was not relished by the burghers, who made an indignant protest to General Christian De Wet. The general upheld the field-cornet’s action, and told the men that if all the officers had instituted similar methods more success might have attended the army’s operations. "
(WITH THE BOER FORCES BY HOWARD C. HILLEGAS)
In the photo of the BMR beseiged in Ladysmith, Lt Frederick Lester Thring is seated, 1st left
Phot with De Wet, VK Alfred Thring is seated far right
Photo with De Wet's with his staff at Potchestroom in Sept 1900.
2nd from Left, CDWs interpreter Archie Coulson
3rd from left Veldkornet Alfred Lester Thring
4th from Left Charlie Meintjies, his secretary.
5th from Left, the man himself
I don't know the first and last members...
Last photo is VK Thring with his Kroonstad Commando
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturgy

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.059 seconds