Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wittebergen 7 months 3 weeks ago #92115

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1542
Adrian
A very nice pair. As a matter of interest, your man's SAGS for the 58th Regt. is confirmed with clasp "1879" under "Pte. Gibbons. A" and his number is shown in the book "Forgotten Heroes" as 29B/267. If you have not already done so, a PRO search might unearth more bio detail.
The Buxton FID roll index only shows your man with a page 8 entry and no cross reference to a roll. For all its usefulness, to back up the Buxton roll it sometimes needs a page-by-page check of the medal actual roll (WO100/301) and there he is on Page 26 with his single clasp "Wittebergen". The roll page is noted "Intelligence Dept., Harrismith" and there is no marginal note..
From researching of similar items in my current custody, it appears that some ID/FID were initially granted the OFS clasp and later changed to "Wittebergen". Not so in your man's case, however.
I have long had an interest in NCoG, ID and FID medals and the men who earned them and your QSA/KSA pair is very nice example indeed.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Adrian123456

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wittebergen 7 months 3 weeks ago #92119

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2161

djb wrote:

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (1) Wittebergen (Guide J. W. Archbell. F.I.D.) officially re-impressed naming.

The Wittebergen clasp is listed on the FID roll WO100/201p31 with no other clasps identified.

There is a query on whether this man served in the Harrismith VLH, number 105.

The Archbell on the Harrismith roll (WO100/281p163) has initial F and the clasps OFS and SA01. A note says the SA02 clasp was recovered as he was not entitled. There is nothing on the HVLH roll to link the two.

I have this fellows medal www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...neral-hamilton#68253

Wittebergen 3 weeks 7 hours ago #95263

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4560

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (1) Wittebergen (4493 Pte J. Dillon, Manchester Regt)

The rolls (WO100/198p23) have a 4593 Pte J Dillon, 1st Manchester Regiment, entitled to Belfast and Natal

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Wittebergen 3 weeks 6 hours ago #95266

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1182
Just to add to the confusion

This chap was awarded clasps for Belfast, Elandsglatte and Defence of Ladysmith.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.319 seconds