Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13611

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 194
The Rifles Museum, Salisbury, also have a Militia Record for a Thomas Trimnell who joined the 3rd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment on the 16th of October 1899. Three brothers maybe? I can't see him on the QSA Medal Roll, so I believe that he didn't go to St.Helena with the Battalion.

Maybe Albert joined the 1st Battalion in India to spend some time with his brother and after serving in a war, who could blame him?

Ian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13612

• Ians1900
Well, you know we said that this was a poignant story?

I have just found that Thomas was a Blacksmith from Ramsbury Wiltshire, and son of Joseph Trimnell (I am inclined to believe that with such an unusual name, we have the correct family).

Thomas died on the 28th of September 1916, whilst serving with the 29th Battalion, Canadian Infantry. He is buried at the Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France, Plot IV. B. II. His name also appears on a War Memorial in Ramsbury.

This information comes from the Canadian Great War Project website.

I hope that at least Alfred survived the Great War.

Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13615

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
Yes I would think the same family, though not a brother, Albert and Alfred came from Poulshot.
Kind regards Frank

Ians1900 wrote: Well, you know we said that this was a poignant story?

I have just found that Thomas was a Blacksmith from Ramsbury Wiltshire, and son of Joseph Trimnell (I am inclined to believe that with such an unusual name, we have the correct family).

Thomas died on the 28th of September 1916, whilst serving with the 29th Battalion, Canadian Infantry. He is buried at the Warloy-Baillon Communal Cemetery Extension, Somme, France, Plot IV. B. II. His name also appears on a War Memorial in Ramsbury.

This information comes from the Canadian Great War Project website.

I hope that at least Alfred survived the Great War.

Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13616

• Ians1900
Thank you Frank,

So, they were cousins. I think we've unearthed another one of those all too common stories of how one family's service with the Colours eventually leads to tragedy.

Well, I hope the person who buys the medals reads this Forum.

Ian

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died while interned 10 years 8 months ago #13617

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Ian,
I would think so, the name is so unusual, they do stand out!
Regards Frank

Pte. Albert Trimnell, 2nd Bn. Wiltshire Regt. PoW who died in WWI 9 years 9 months ago #21622

• NigelH1955
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Albert Trimnell was my great uncle and although I knew that he fought in the Boer War I was not aware that he was a POW. My understanding is that he died at Mons and was the first person from Poulshot to die in WW1.

His brother Alfred was my grandfather and was Albert's twin. He also fought in WW1 and survived, otherwise I would not be here as he married my grandmother in 1920 and died in 1936.

Time to create page: 0.723 seconds