Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Re: Burger Jacabus Nicolaas Swart - Vryheid Commando 9 years 1 month ago #25052

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Wayne
I have never really had a look at the actions at Fort Prospect and Italia; however, Stirling in "Our Regiments in SA" coments that, after ambushing Maj. Gough's force, Botha "moved against the two forts". Stirling says that the Boers were under Botha, Opperman and others and "immediately after midnight 25th and 26th (September), the attack commenced (upon Fort Italia) and continued with little cessation until 7.30 PM". The Boers then drew off, defeated. He further comments that the attack on Fort Prospect "commenced at 4.30 AM on the 26th and lasted thirteen hours".
The Times History Vol.V (map facing page 350) shows them about 12 miles apart as the crow flies and a darn sight further by road or up-and-down hills, etc. My map reading skills are now ancient - but I would very much hate to cover it in a hurry! Interestingly, the TH map shows that the attack profile of the Boer force was a pincer on "Italia Post" and more straightforwards on Fort Prospect. From what was said in the text of the TH Vol.V, the actions were seperate. A hard fought pair of actions and I some day hope to become custodian to a QSA associated with one or the other.
Hope this helps a bit.
IL.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds