Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Crosson family history 9 years 10 months ago #20386

• patk
  • patk's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for info..I think its going to take a lot of searching to see if its the correct person ..i just cant find his death notice neither his late wife's.thanks all the same.

I thought William would be the correct soldier as my late father was a Killeen and his gfather was John Killeen from PE also Cape mounted rifles passed away 1902 maybe a result of injuries in thesame battle fought as the one William Crosson fought in .. ( I have his medal somewhere at home)I inherited his medal ,along with his son & my fathers WW2 medals , so now I want to know moe

Please tell me what is the meaning of QSA & KSA

thanks so much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Crosson family history 9 years 10 months ago #20396

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hi there,

I did have a look for William's death notice which I too could not find !!

QSA = Queen's South Africa medal
KSA = Kings South Africa medal

Have a look at the medal to John Killeen and let me know what the regimental number is that will be impressed around the rim of it, I might have some info on him.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: patk

Crosson family history 9 years 10 months ago #20425

• patk
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I found looks like discharge paper written in Umtata for John Killeen.. looks as though he was ill.He passed away a couple of months afterwards.
His medal number is 1617.

kind regards

Pat

Crosson family history 9 years 10 months ago #20426

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Hello Pat,

The following was found in DD7/61 page 81 which is iin the Cape Town Archives.

John Killeen enlisted into the CMR on the 20th May 1885 in Port Elizabeth, he was 20 years old at the time.

His page shows entitlement to the QSA medal with clasps : Cape Colony, Wepener, Transvaal, Wittebergen and SA 1901.

He has a few defaults listed which include: Causing a disturbance, absent from parade, seen in town in Mufti and disobedience of orders. He had one more serious offence (well at least Capt Goldsworthy thought so) and he was given 11 days CB for being absent from parading for patrol.

He was promoted to 1st Class Private on the 1st Jan 1890 and to Corporal on the 7th March 1898.

He served in number 3 Troop as well as G Squadron, 4 Company and HQ Company.

Hope this is of some use.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: patk

Crosson family history 9 years 10 months ago #20428

• patk
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
thank-you very much.My goodness it looks like the family is really sprinkled with "rebels"

Crosson family history 9 years 9 months ago #21434

• drummerboy
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello Pat, My name is George Shaw and I live in Johannesburg. William Crosson was my great uncle. He was the younger and only brother of my grandmother, Mary Crosson --- there were 3 other sisters, Wilhelmina, never married, Catherine Ellen, married Gert Saunders, and Sarah Ann, future unknown. I have copies of all their baptismal entries in the KWT Catholic church. I have researched this family in considerable detail which I would be happy to share my findings with you. Their father, also William Crosson came out in 1844 with the 45th and fought in the 7th and 8th Frontier Wars as well as at Boomplaats --- 1853 SA Medal. I have his detailed muster papers as well as a copy of his will. In 1859 he decided to stay behind when his Regt was finally repatriated and settled in KWT where he opened up a butchery business. He married Mary Collins who was a Kennaway Girl, if you know that whole Border episode. Mary died in 1876 and William a year later. I have visited their unmarked graves in the KWT cemetery --- I was at Dale. William Jnr served in the CMR at the same time as my grandfather Robert John Shaw which is probably how he met his future wife, my grandmother, Mary Crosson. There was a much later family connection with Ft. Frere in the Transkei involving William Jr., but I was never able to quite get to the bottom of it. You are free to contact me via e-mail at [email protected]. Regards, George Shaw

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.835 seconds