• Page:

TOPIC:

Chisnall family outside their bunker 10 years 1 month ago #18086

• PeterR
  • PeterR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
The Natal Directory has an R. Chisnall registered as living at 85 Leopold Street in Durban from 1893 to 1898 with his occupation as a carpenter. The Directories from 1899 to 1904 have him as Hotel Proprietor of a hotel in Ladysmith and page 403 of the 1901 Directory names the Hotel as the Crown Hotel.

We also have a photograph (not our copyright, so I cannot attach it) of a group outside the Crown Hotel. In the centre of the group are Mr and Mrs Richard Chisnall with two of their daughters. The sign attached to the corrugated tin roof above has 'CROWN HOTEL' in large letters with 'R.Chisnall, Proprietor' below in small script. This picture appeared with an article in 'The Australasian' of 5th May 1900 entitled 'A Ladysmith Group' by Donald MacDonald. The article describes a prize giving at the Crown Hotel, Ladysmith, during which the Chisnall's were rewarded for "the pluck and enterprise shown by them in keeping the Crown Hotel open during the siege". The article can be seen here: trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/139779279

We also have a set of silver-plated fish knives and forks marked 'Crown Hotel, Ladysmith' - which we still use occasionally!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chisnall family outside their bunker 10 years 1 month ago #18105

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
Peter,

What awesome cutlery for the fish course!

Wow!
David
Dr David Biggins

Chisnall family outside their bunker 9 years 8 months ago #21546

• CharmaineJo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Rory

It is a long comlicated story, but I have recently discovered by reading in this forum, and by doing some reasearch via National Archives (Pietermaritzburg) that there is a strong possibility that I am directly related to one Charles James Jones.

I notice with interest that you have lots of information on the Jones or Barlow Jones family. Will you be so kind as to share some of this or to point me in the right direction.

Being new to the forum -I don’t know if you will see this message or if I should send a private message??

Maybe somebody can advise me. :)

Regards CharmaineJo

Chisnall family outside their bunker 9 years 8 months ago #21547

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Hi CharmianeJo

You can e-mail me at [email protected]

I would very much like to help you as well as point you in the directionn of an authority on Charles James Jones I happen to know.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: CharmaineJo

Chisnall family outside their bunker 9 years 8 months ago #21552

• CharmaineJo
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Rory

Thank you so much. I have sent you a mail.

Kind regards
Charmaine

Chisnall family outside their bunker 3 months 2 weeks ago #93505

• LetitiaNR
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
This is all wonderfully informative! Do you perhaps have any information/photos on R Chisnall and his time at The Crown Hotel in Ladysmith? Specifically his employees? My great, great grandfather and his brother worked for R Chisnall in the early 1900s.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.447 seconds