TOPIC:

Robert Ingle Channon Floyd 7 years 7 months ago #48167

• veteransvn
  • veteransvn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi
I'm trying to find out which unit ? my great uncle served with during the Boer War.
He was born in Dec of 1880 in South Shields Durham, to Wilkinson Floyd and Ann Robson Lee. Robert may have served with the Border Regiment ? as he enlisted in the Boarder Regiment in the First World war and was KIA 25 April 1915 at Gallipoli
In a Notice in a Local Paper ?? (South Shields) reporting his death there was mention of him having served in the Boer War

Many thanks for any help

Ron Rogers
Australian Vietnam Veteran

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Robert Ingle Channon Floyd 7 years 7 months ago #48169

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Did he have a sister, called Lizzie?

veteransvn wrote: Hi
I'm trying to find out which unit ? my great uncle served with during the Boer War.
He was born in Dec of 1880 in South Shields Durham, to Wilkinson Floyd and Ann Robson Lee. Robert may have served with the Border Regiment ? as he enlisted in the Boarder Regiment in the First World war and was KIA 25 April 1915 at Gallipoli
In a Notice in a Local Paper ?? (South Shields) reporting his death there was mention of him having served in the Boer War

Many thanks for any help

Ron Rogers
Australian Vietnam Veteran

Robert Ingle Channon Floyd 7 years 7 months ago #48175

• veteransvn
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank,

Robert had two sisters that I know of ,Irene and Evelyn, there may be other siblings that I haven't found yet.

regards

Ron

Robert Ingle Channon Floyd 7 years 7 months ago #48176

• Frank Kelley
Okay, well I was going to offer a certain 6893 Robert Floyd Durham Light Infantry as a possible candidate, he was from South Shields and gave his age as 18 years and 11 months old when he joined the Army on the 3rd of October 1899, he did have brief service in South Africa during the war and gave his next of kin as his sister Lizzie Floyd at number 24 George Scott Street South Shields, but, to be quite honest, whilst perhaps in the "ball park" I suspect it is not your man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, veteransvn

Robert Ingle Channon Floyd 7 years 7 months ago #48179

• veteransvn
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
thanks Frank,
Its always worth a try

Ron

Robert Ingle Channon Floyd 7 years 7 months ago #48183

• Frank Kelley
Okay, then the obvious candidates would have to be 259 R Floyd 1st Battalion Northumberland Fusiliers and 11060 Robert Floyd Imperial Yeomanry, you might find surviving papers in WO97 and WO128 respectively, manual searches would be needed at Kew for both to determine the man you seek, the NF would certainly have been a potential choice, as would the DLI, for any lad from South Shields, who wished to try his luck at the end of the nineteenth century, the IY, given the particular regiment, the North Irish Horse, would have to be, very much, the wild card, notwithstanding, still worth a punt.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.440 seconds