• Page:

TOPIC:

James Alexander Ford 7 years 10 months ago #46523

• Rowland
  • Rowland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
I am searching for information about my wife's (Anna Rowland nee Crew) Great Grandfather James Alexander Ford who joined the war as part of the Third Queensland Contingent listed as soldier 152 in the article published in The Queenslander on March 3 1900. I found reference to 2 soldiers named James Alexander Ford in the name search but listed as part of Bethunes Mounted Infantry with service number 1517 & 1497 both Lance Corporals. I have attached a copy of the article from the Queenslander. Any help in my search would be appreciated.

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

James Alexander Ford 7 years 10 months ago #46566

• LinneyI
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 1527
Rowland
Interestingly, the roll for the 3rd QMI in Murrays "Australian Contingents" does not show a "152" or a J.A.Ford, either. There are Regimental numbers either side - but not 152. However, the booklet on the 3rd QMI published by Mostly Unsung shows "152 Ford, James Alexander" as private in that unit; aged 29 yrs and 5 months, occupation Horse Breaker, address variously as Adelaide, South Aust and South Brisbane, Queensland, A marginal note says he was "injured shipping horses on transport Duke of Portland, left behind for the 4th Contingent but enlisted in Durban 20th Sept, 1901 as Tpr. 1517, BMI". As he did not serve with the QMI, he was not awarded any medal or clasps with them. The roll for the BMI shows a "341 Tpr. J.A.Forde" with a marginal note "Aust". Sounds like a probable "match" to me. Unfortunately, I cannot assist with the clasps he would have earned in that unit..
Well, that clears things up a little bit.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

James Alexander Ford 7 years 10 months ago #46611

• Rowland
  • Rowland's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
:) Thank-you LinneyI this brought a smile to my wife's face. This cretainly turns over a few stones. With his skill as a horse breaker it seems highly likely that I would be picked up by the Bethune's Mounted Infantry.

Peter Rowland

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.363 seconds