Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Spionkop 4 weeks 22 hours ago #94857

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1176
If my memory serves me correctly, didn't certain regiments have to build up sangars and take cover behind whatever meagre cover there was? With the Boer marksmen aiming down on certain soldiers, the upper half of the body was probably the most prominent. Without knowing who the soldiers regiment were reference the article I would imagine that any soldier unfortunately to be beneath the accuracy of the Boer rifle fire and were behind a few rocks they would probably be the casualties of the aforementioned article.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Spionkop 4 weeks 21 hours ago #94859

• Rob D
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 768
Mainly hit in the arm? I think that's probably a function of the fact that this group of men are walking unaided. Leg, chest and abdominal injuries all needed a stretcher, and stretchers were unable to cross the 300m across the summit to the firing line. There were over 509 wounded on the summit, and as they couldn't be carried down in the dark, many seriously wounded spent the night of 24 January 1900 in the open. Louis Botha commented the next day on the numbers of dead men who had been shot in the head.
The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past.
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.351 seconds