TOPIC:

Belmont 3 years 5 days ago #76105

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530

Caught on the hop: An incident on the top of the kopje at Belmont stormed by the Grenadier Guards

Source: The Graphic 6 January 1900
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frank Kelley, Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Belmont 3 years 5 days ago #76109

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is by far a much better drawing than some of the previous illustrations in this thread, at least it shows the Guards Brigade correctly wearing Khaki Drill rather than Scarlet Serge.

djb wrote:

Caught on the hop: An incident on the top of the kopje at Belmont stormed by the Grenadier Guards

Source: The Graphic 6 January 1900

The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Belmont 2 years 10 months ago #77100

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Prisoners captured at Belmont in prison-van at Orange River en route for Simon's Bay

Source: ILN 30 December 1900
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Belmont 1 year 3 months ago #88223

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 764
Following the Battle of Belmont on November 23rd 1899, the veterans of this bloody battle wrote home to their nearest and dearest to let them know of their experiences of battle against their wily foe and that they had come through the ordeal to fight another day.
One such letter was sent by 7301 Private John Davies of 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards.

From the "The South Wales News," dated Friday, December 22, 1899: page 5:

"LETTERS FROM THE FRONT."
"THE BATTLE OF BELMONT."
"The following letter has been received by Mr. John Evans, Lampeter, from his nephew, Private J. Davies, of the 3rd Grenadier Guards. The writer is well-known as "Johnny Davies, Pwll,":-"Dear Aunt and Uncle,- I have received your kind letter on the 23rd. I have just returned from a great battle with the Boers. We went out at about 1 o'clock in the morning to attack the Boers. They were on a rock about 800 feet high. The General told the Grenadiers to go first. The shots came in thousands on the top of us and whistled all around me, and killed two men on my left and right. God was with me and I was saved. Afterwards you could see nothing else but dead and wounded; it was awful. The Battle of Belmont lasted about 24 hours and we had nothing to eat or drink. The Boers at last ran away from us and everything cooled down. Out Colonel was wounded in two places, and several other officers were wounded. Then we started picking up the dead and brought them back to the camp. We buried them all together in one hole, side by side. There were alot of Welshmen. It was a terrible sight. David St. John, the great fighting man of Wales, was shot through the head. He was a great friend of mine. We had another great battle yesterday, the 26th. It was not our turn to go first yesterday, thank God; but we were ready to go if those in front were killed. There was a terrible lot of our men and Boers killed, but the Boers lost the most and ran away.
"It is Sunday. Had a hard job to get this paper, so that I could write to you. Everything I have said in this letter is the truth, and tomorrow we are going to have a great battle again. That will make the third battle. The sun is so hot here you cannot put your hand on the sand. You must excuse me, as it is rough and ready. Thank God I am alive to send it to you. I do not know whether I shall be alive by the time this letter reaches you, so good-bye, in case I shall be dead."

What a poignant, heart-wrenching way to sign off John's letter home, it certainly makes you realise how this particular Grenadier Guard viewed his chances of survival after experiencing first hand, the destructive power of the Mauser in the hands of a concealed enemy.

BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
7301 Private John Davies was born in Lampeter, Cardiganshire, Wales in around 1877. He attested to the Grenadier Guards at Newport, Monmouthshire, Wales on February 22nd 1898, giving his occupation as Fitter. He had previously served with the 3rd Battalion Welsh Regiment.
He was 21 years of age, 5' 8" in height, weighed in at 135lbs and had a chest expansion range of 39" to 39 1/2" (a larger than average chest measurement for the period, so likely well set).
His complexion was fresh, eyes grey and hair brown with no distinguishing marks. His religious denomination was described as "other Protestant."

RECORD OF SERVICE
Home--23/02/1898 to 22/09/1899---1 year 212 days.
Gibraltar--23/09/1899 to 28/10/1899---33 days.
South Africa--26/10/1899 to 11/02/1902---2 years 109 days.
Home-12/02/1902 to 08/04/1902---56 days.
Total= 4 years 45 days.

It is quite possible that he died on April 4th 1902, as the word "DECEASED" is officially stamped on the first page of his attestation document. Maybe he was suffering from the effects of disease. There is no record of him being wounded (Palmer 1999).

His next of kin was his mother, Margaret Thomas of 22 Temple Street, Maesteg, Glamorganshire, Wales.

His service in South Africa earned 7301 Private Johnny Davies,"Pwll" the Queen's South Africa medal bearing the clasps; Belmont, Modder River, Driefontein and Belfast in honour of his involvement in some of the classic actions of the campaign with the Grenadier Guards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Ians1900

Belmont 1 year 3 months ago #88224

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Steve,

A really interesting account from a Grenadier at Belmont and yes, what a way to end the letter.

Many thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Belmont 1 year 3 months ago #88229

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 764
3070 COLOUR SERGEANT WILLIAM EDWARD ACRAMAN DCM: 3RD BATTALION GRENADIER GUARDS

Another more lengthy letter home from the above mentioned Grenadier, present at the Battle of Belmont as follows:

From the "South Wales Daily News," dated Friday, December 22, 1899; page 5:

"LETTER FROM THE FRONT."
"THE CHARGE AT BELMONT."

"A letter has just been received from Colour-Sergeant William Edward Acraman of the 3rd Battalion Grenadier Guards, by his mother at Fishguard. This young man left his own battalion (the 2nd) and joined his present one as a sergeant, therefore lowering his position; but since his arrival in South Africahe has been promoted to his present position. In the letter which is dated Belmont Farm, Griqualand, November 24th, he says:- " We have been engaged, as you will see by the papers. We had a hard fight. We left camp at 4 o'clock on the night of the 22nd and bivouacked about 8 near the position of the enemy. We got up by 1 o'clock and marched off to do or die. We were about 1000 yards from the enemy's position. We marched through a perfect hail of bullets, and our poor boys fell fast. We fixed our bayonets and with a triumphant yell we showed them what British Grenadiers could do. We carried the position at the point of the bayonet. They did not care for cold steel. How many men came out of that death trap alive I can't understand. My section was exposed to a terrible crossfire, and the two men on my right and three on my left were bowled over. We buried our dead on the battlefield last night, and it was the most solemn ceremony I ever took part in. Our adjutant, Mr. Fryer, was shot dead through the mouth, and Lieutenant Blundell was shot through the stomach by a wounded Boer. He died this morning, and we have just buried him. He went up to the Boer and told him that that our ambulance would come around and take him to hospital, but the inhuman wretch returned evil for good by shooting his benefactor. We carried a position in good style. We had to clamber up a steep hill which was as rugged and rough a bit of country as I ever saw. There was a mistake made. Our artillery should have shelled the position before we stormed it. We had a parade this morning. General Colville addressed the battalion (he is an old Grenadier), but he was never prouder than that day. Our battalion lost about 25 killed and 78 wounded. Poor David St. John, the Welsh boxing man, was found shot dead through the brain with his bayonet clean through a Boer's heart. Cheer up, dear mother, and don't grieve about me , as I am in the best of health and spirits, notwithstanding the rough life we are having. The Boers have fled towards Modder River, and we are marching in the same direction tonight. "
"Mr. Acraman's brother is a quartermaster-sergeant in the Welsh Regiment at Cardiff."

CSM Acraman was luckier than most other ranks to survive the action at Belmont. The men with the stripes seen to be ordering the men forward received special attention from the Boer marksmen.

BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION
William Edward Acraman was a career soldier who rose up through the ranks and certainly merits his own individual thread on the forum. However, I would like to give a very brief backstory here, but in the knowledge that it doesn't do him justice!

No attestation documents were raised on Findmypast.

Queen's South Africa Medal with clasps; Belmont, Modder River, Driefontein, Johannesburg, Diamond Hill, Belfast.
King's South Africa Medal with clasps; South Africa 1901, South Africa 1902.
Mentioned in Despatches by Lord Roberts 04/09/1901. London Gazette 10/09/1901; page 5936.
Distinguished Conduct Medal in Lord Kitchener's final despatch 23/06/1902. London Gazette 31/10/1902; page 6900.
Served in World War One in the rank of Major and QM with 2nd Battalion Grenadier Guards. Awarded Military Cross.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, David Grant, Rory, Ians1900

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.907 seconds