Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19272

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I'm rather confused, from memory, the Rhodesian Horse was raised in April 1895 and was merged the following year, becoming part of the Salisbury Field Force, which itself was disbanded in 1897! :S

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Morning Everyone.....

I have only 1 D.of M. (Protectorate Regt.) but 3 Relief's.....

Rhodesian Horse - Relief and Transvaal
B.S.A.P. - Rhodesia and Relief
Rhodesia Regiment - Relief, OFS, Tvl and SA 01

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19277

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Good Evening Frank.....

You just about gave me heart attack.....

I had just used the listing of bars that I have and the Rhodesian Horse was there.....

I went to look for the medal and could not find it..... I went through every medal that I owned and could not find it..... Panicking did I lose it......

Then I checked my entry in my log and saw that I had sold it in 2002.....

I rechecked the other two and they are there......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19284

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
That must have been a worrying time for a while, Mike.
Dr David Biggins

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19290

• Frank Kelley
Hello Mike,
I'm still confused, can you clarify that point and the name of the recipient, the exact naming on the QSA along with it's WO100 reference etc?
Regards Frank

[quote="QSAMIKE" post=19277

I had just used the listing of bars that I have and the Rhodesian Horse was there.....

[/quote]

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19300

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Frank,
Thanks for the comment on the last line ;)

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: I'm sorry if it was anything I wrote that gave you that impression, the fact is that when you start number crunching, the figures speak of themselves and it is the defence that remains both rarer and rather more expensive.
That said, I still feel that even today, a good relief is harder to find, that was cetainly the case twenty years ago, when to be quite honest, it was merely a simple case of £400-£450, moreover that was retail too!
I'd take Paul's medal every time, better by far!

pjac49 wrote: I'm interested to see the view that a ROM clasp is perhaps more desirable than a DOM clasp. As I acquired a ROM together with a Rhodesia on the Castleman pair I posted a few weeks ago, I'm quite pleased to hear this, but I wondered why people thought this, as I assume, perhaps wrongly, that the Defence clasp would be rarer. A Defence clasp is still on my list, too.

Patrick

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

At last a Mafeking! 10 years 1 week ago #19301

• Frank Kelley
Paul,
Merely a short statement of fact as far as I am concerned, as a single QSA, it is, I feel one of the best shown on here thus far this year.
Frank

coldstream wrote: Frank,
Thanks for the comment on the last line ;)

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: I'm sorry if it was anything I wrote that gave you that impression, the fact is that when you start number crunching, the figures speak of themselves and it is the defence that remains both rarer and rather more expensive.
That said, I still feel that even today, a good relief is harder to find, that was cetainly the case twenty years ago, when to be quite honest, it was merely a simple case of £400-£450, moreover that was retail too!
I'd take Paul's medal every time, better by far!

pjac49 wrote: I'm interested to see the view that a ROM clasp is perhaps more desirable than a DOM clasp. As I acquired a ROM together with a Rhodesia on the Castleman pair I posted a few weeks ago, I'm quite pleased to hear this, but I wondered why people thought this, as I assume, perhaps wrongly, that the Defence clasp would be rarer. A Defence clasp is still on my list, too.

Patrick

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.439 seconds