Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 6 months ago #22784

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
David

That is a great story about a unique group of medals. Thank you for showing it and telling its story.

Willow Grange was a small battle when compared with many larger more celebrated ones, but it has long appealed to me, initially because it was the battle closest to my home when I first became aware of the Boer War. Later, I realised that it was in fact a very significant battle that might have had a very different outcome for Natal and the war if the Boers had pressed it and brought in reinforcements.

The civilian allegedly shot in a case of mistaken identity by someone in the West Yorkshire Regiment is buried in the cemetery of the church in Estcourt (St Matthews) that I attended.

Regards
Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 6 months ago #22809

• davidh
  • Thank you received: 234

SWB wrote: Hello David

Super piece of work to reunite.

Having just bought a QSA with a similar history - wounded December 1899, invalided to the UK in 1900 and returned to SA in 1902 - but not entitled to the KSA, just SA02 on the QSA.

I looked at Frost/Bridges and helpfully the KSA roll shows the dates by which they calculated the period of service "at the war" (this is not shown for my man):

I calculate his period of service including sick furlough as 230 days - way short of the 18 months (~545 days).

I understood that the sick furlough counted towards "active service" and therefore when that expires he is not on "active service".

Am I mis-understanding?

Regards
Meurig

Meurig - You raise a very interesting point. I had interpreted the period of sick furlough shown on the roll as being the length of time he spent being treated as a hospital in-patient and that he spent a further lengthy period still convalescing (presumably) at home which counted towards his period of service. However, now I'm not so sure. :unsure:

Single clasp KSAs 9 years 6 months ago #22817

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 448
Hello David

Definitely more work required on this topic of sick furlough.

The entry from the KSA roll does say "in hospital & sick furlo".

I have seen a lot of this type of entry in the IY KSA roll, I'll have to dig them out - but not until November, I have to finish my talk for the Talana Conference first!

But, if any forumites can post similar entries they know about it would be good to check the calculations.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Single clasp KSAs 3 months 1 week ago #93250

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
I have just acquired the QSA to 5504 Pte. R. Rogers of the Royal Irish Fusiliers. He was in receipt of a single clasp (1902) KSA - the search for this one now commences in earnest.

He was taken POW at Nicholson's Nek on 30 October 1899 and invalided back to England on 21 October 1900 after his release from Nooitgedacht in September 1900 - this whilst with the 1st Battalion. He returned to SA with the 2nd Battalion on 16 December 1901 and served out the war.

QSA is with clasps CC/OFS/Talana/TVL

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Single clasp KSAs 3 months 1 week ago #93251

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Rory,

His QSA has been around on the market for the last 30 years. Interestingly, the number of clasps on the QSA has changed over time.

QSA (1) Tal. Glendining Sep 92 (part lot). QSA (4). Dixon Aug 99 £175. Liverpool Nov 99 £235.

His KSA I have not recorded but it could have passed under the radar.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Single clasp KSAs 3 months 1 week ago #93259

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
Thanks David - there is also a WWI trio out there - an interesting chap.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds