• Page:

TOPIC:

HMS Terrible Zululand Expeditionary Force 9 years 5 months ago #23341

• morsey
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi,
I to have a couple of HMS Terrible QSA's both stokers with hopefully a third to be added. one is my grandfather Walter Edward Morse, and the other Joseph O'Flaherty. Both with Natal added. My Grandfather went to China with the Terrible and also I have the Portsmouth badge awarded for going to both arrears of conflict. I also have a service sheet from the civic reception that Portsmouth Corporation gave on its return.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

HMS Terrible Zululand Expeditionary Force 9 years 5 months ago #23356

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi morsey,

And a warm welcome to the forum.
You must be very proud to have your Grandfathers medals and very nicely displayed also.
Just a thought, it might be an idea to write a new member introduction post.
Good luck with your future new acquisition, keep us posted.

Regards
Paul :)

morsey wrote: Hi,
I to have a couple of HMS Terrible QSA's both stokers with hopefully a third to be added. one is my grandfather Walter Edward Morse, and the other Joseph O'Flaherty. Both with Natal added. My Grandfather went to China with the Terrible and also I have the Portsmouth badge awarded for going to both arrears of conflict. I also have a service sheet from the civic reception that Portsmouth Corporation gave on its return.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

HMS Terrible Zululand Expeditionary Force 8 years 3 weeks ago #45940

• morsey
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Since my last entry I have obtained another QSA proporting to be for a member of Terrible's crew but alas it is a forgery and I got caught out!!

HMS Terrible Zululand Expeditionary Force 8 years 3 weeks ago #45955

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
Hello Morsey,

If you are going to continue down this line of collecting, I would strongly recommend you try and get hold of a copy of the following two books: "The Commission of HMS Terrible" BY George Crowe. & "The Worlds Navies In The Boxer Rebellion (China 1900)" By Lt. C.C. Dix. R.N.
I haven't got a copy of Peter Singlehurst's book, so I can't comment on it myself, but I have only heard good reviews .

Both of these book are on the expensive side, but nothing compared to the cost of a medal. I would also suggest you find a group that meets regularly. There is nothing that beats being able to actually see and handle genuine AND suspect medal examples.

It was the crew of HMS Terrible that modified naval guns for use in Ladysmith.
HMS Terrible stopped of at Hong Kong on her dash to China, to transfer crew to HMS Whiting and Fame, who went on to earn the bar for Taku Fort. I have two examples from each of the three: Terrible, Whiting & Fame.

You have chosen a very interesting line of collecting, with many avenues. The Naval Division showed their sense of humour, when they camouflaged an Armoured Train and named it "Hairy Mary", they had covered it from front to back in rope. There is a picture of the train in Crow's book.

Happy collecting,
James.

HMS Terrible Zululand Expeditionary Force 8 years 3 weeks ago #45956

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
The first naval book for the ABW I would buy is Singlehurst's "Afloat & Ashore" - a very professional job that used all the usual printed sources and archives.

Additionally you can find him on the British Medal Forum which is handy if you want to ask questions.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

HMS Terrible Zululand Expeditionary Force 8 years 3 weeks ago #45967

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
Another fact that may be of interest from Crow's book:
Before going to South Africa HMS Terrible was decommissioned, and a brand new over compliment, hand picked crew was put aboard.

James.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.613 seconds