Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

City Coins 8 years 9 months ago #42277

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Morning Brett,
Well, that's the thing about auctions, they can be and usually are a real pain, I'm not too excited myself with the current catalogue, it's the ever present issue of missing medals that spoil it for me, but, if I were actually looking for one of Brevet Major Max Vallentin's lads, it would certainly be the saleroom of choice, as she has not one, but, two on offer.
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 8 years 9 months ago #42278

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
Brett

I am sure that most forum members, if not all collectors buying outside of the UK, will understand the frustrations of currency, not just the general issue of finding what you want. Even if you take away the times when two people will pay more to own a medal, just the basic ones on offer, at their market price, seem so much in the local currency.

I love the reference to the licence! I had mine in the mid 90's to start with only to be revoked in the early 21st century, but thankfully restored five years ago. In the intervening period, I kept an eye on things and as the markets became more open, it has made the prices go up as more people have access. When I went to my first DNW auction in London, I wasn't allowed to sit near the front as that was reserved for dealers, how things have changed.

I have put my bids in for the City Coins auction as I believe that if there are two bids the same, the earlier bid wins, which I have missed out on in the past. I had to check a number of times once I had decided my maximum, that the number of noughts was correct, as you say, it seems and is so much in the local currency.

I would urge you to keep your licence as it was one of the most painful things I did in agreeing to give it up, and never again. I honestly can't see things changing too much either, but you would regret not being part of it, and I know you don't need me to tell you that.

Doug.
Doug Jenkins

City Coins 8 years 8 months ago #42283

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Doug
Thank you for your helpful and encouraging post. I have always been a 'the glass is completely empty' sort of person, which is not without its advantages. If something (e.g. a City Coins auction) does turn out well for me, I am elated, whereas if I fail (again!!!) I am not surprised and I am calm about it. None of this 'being plunged into the depths of despair', because I am more or less there anyway. As always, I will look forward to the results of this auction.
Regards
Brett

City Coins 8 years 8 months ago #42459

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Not too long a wait now, the day will soon dawn!

Brett Hendey wrote: I am thinking about it, Frank. In the weeks preceding a City Coins auction I always do a lot of thinking, and then do something impulsive. I have had both success and failure, so the wait for results is tense.
Regards
Brett

City Coins 8 years 8 months ago #42600

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2151
Well that day has now dawned and some of us either already know or have a healthy suspicion of what they have won. For most we will know at or about 2.30 p.m. tomorrow.

Please remember to post your "finds" on the ABWF :lol:

Regards

Rory

City Coins 8 years 8 months ago #42603

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Guys

I must be moving into that old age bracket where I cannot get too excited about auctions anymore .... or is it that I have been let down so many times the idea of getting anything no longer worries me?

Not sure why but of late there have been very few British and Colonial Victorian medals to the artillery on City Coins, where as in the past they were plentiful.

Hope to get at least one group this year but as things go my hopes are not high. Dare not say from what era, I will be barred from this site :S

Brian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.467 seconds