Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

City Coins 9 years 7 months ago #21986

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I thought about you when I saw that particular lot and wondered if you would bid on it, I'm glad you managed to get it for your collection.
The Mooi River area is very interesting as far as the war went in 1899, from memory, it was also the stomping ground of Number 4 Troop of D Squadron, the Colonial Scouts.
Anyway, I'm pleased you got your man!
Regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Judged only from the 'prices realised' list, my bid for Lot 59 was successful:
QSA (TH, RoL), Tpr A R Smith, Murray's Scouts, + WWI pair.

The QSA ticks another 'must have' on my lengthy list. (Why does this list never shorten?) I already have a QSA to a man who served in Murray's Scouts, but it was named to the FID. This man was employed as an interpreter and was probably too decrepit to ride a horse, hence the need for the medal of a man who probably really was a scout.

I also have a QSA to the more numerous Murray's Horse, and I have resisted the temptation to purchase others. Murray's Horse and its descendant Murray's Scouts were raised mainly in the Mooi River area by a Natal politician, T K Murray, and represented his private response to the invading Boers after the Natal Government failed to act promptly to confront the invasion. A man of action (unusual in a politician), a private army, its period of existence, and its area of operation, appeal to me even though it was all of limited military significance.

Brett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

City Coins 9 years 7 months ago #21990

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

The invoice for the Smith group arrived yesterday, so I will settle the debt this morning, and, hopefully, the medals will be delivered to their new home early next week. The same man has been delivering packages for City Coins in the Durban area for many years and, due to our changed address, he is now able to drive to within a few steps of our front door. Very convenient!

I am pleased about Smith's QSA. I know of only one other QSA named to Murray's Scouts that has surfaced in Natal during the past decade or more, so they are rare. It was a small unit and at least one, and probably more medals were issued off the FID roll. It is also possible that after their service with Murray's Scouts ended in March 1900, some men joined units other than the FID.

Regards
Brett

City Coins 9 years 7 months ago #21991

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
I know what you mean, I always buy local where possible, the last QSA I bought abroad was a humble Loyal North Lancashire, but, that came from Canada, though, without any problems on that particular occasion, but, I'm not to keen on buying overseas, so often, HMRC get hold things and this delays the item, as well as making it rather more expensive!
Yes, Murray's Scouts are hard to find, I have a medal to a man who served with them, but, his medal is named to the Natal Guides and issued from their roll.
I'm pleased for you, Natalie does put together a good catalogue, in particular all the ABO's, I regret not buying more, they could be had here for as little as £40, I should have just bought a cross section of what was available twenty years ago!
Kind regards Frank

Brett Hendey wrote: Frank

The invoice for the Smith group arrived yesterday, so I will settle the debt this morning, and, hopefully, the medals will be delivered to their new home early next week. The same man has been delivering packages for City Coins in the Durban area for many years and, due to our changed address, he is now able to drive to within a few steps of our front door. Very convenient!

I am pleased about Smith's QSA. I know of only one other QSA named to Murray's Scouts that has surfaced in Natal during the past decade or more, so they are rare. It was a small unit and at least one, and probably more medals were issued off the FID roll. It is also possible that after their service with Murray's Scouts ended in March 1900, some men joined units other than the FID.

Regards
Brett

City Coins 9 years 7 months ago #21992

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi Brett and Others

Slightly off-topic, nut I have the QSA to Tpr A Bowman named to Murray's Scouts. It took me almost 30 years of QSA "Unit Collecting" before I bought that locally in 2001 against stiff competition at a then very hefty price of almost R4400 !!

Henk

City Coins 9 years 7 months ago #21994

• Rory
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2142
My "Empire Over the Seas" Long Service group to Albert William White included his Bambatha with 1906 clasp to the Natal Police.

Does anyone have any other info on this worthy? I.e. did he appear in any publications on the Natal Police at the time? My library is decidedly lacking in substance for this period.

Regards

Rory

City Coins 9 years 7 months ago #21995

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1536
Brett and others
I did have a look at the Murray's Horse group and I am pleased that you secured it. I managed to get invoiced for 95; which will soon fill another gap. The item's writeup had me doing a fair bit of sifting; however on balance it was probably a reasonable buy.
It would appear that the abw.com mafia struck quite frequently this time.
Regards
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.448 seconds