Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Indian Contingent 2 years 7 months ago #79047

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 350
After some very complementary comments from a Cape Town collector in another thread I would like to show a medal that had laid in his collection for 59 years since it was aquired from Dr Laider in 1959 & now has a home with me. I would like to have shown more in depth research into the subject but would ask for any pointers that collegues in the forum might have. I just thought in gratitude for his kind words & the gifting of the medal some time ago I would like to show that I have not been idle..
RP1 Sweeper Muttoo
57th Battery Royal Field Artillery
[/color]

The "57th Battery Royal Field Artillery" is not mentioned in "British Battles & Medals" as being entitled to the Queen's Medal & at present this medal is the sole survivor of the 17 bronze medals issued to the "57th". The lack of clasp entitlement on the rolls would probably suggest entry into South Africa in the later part of the war. I presume that they arrived in South Africa as part of a draft of artillery horses. There is a note that a Subaltan H.P.R Coode may have been detailed for service in South Africa in early 1900 but I have not been able to establish whether ot not this was carried out.

As always, any help would be appreciated.

Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Indian Contingent 2 years 7 months ago #79173

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4559
Part of the Indian Contingent afloat

Pictures courtesy of DNW

QSA (0) (Robearn, Seedie. H.M.S. Philomel)

QSA (0) (Amadi, Seedie., H.M.S. Forte.) officially impressed naming
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

The Indian Contingent 2 years 6 months ago #79294

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the next DNW auction

Picture courtesy of DNW

QSA (0) bronze (Multan 94 Syce ... S. & T. Corps. Pjb. Cod.) naming partially obliterated
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Grant

The Indian Contingent 2 years 6 months ago #79296

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 350
94 Syce Sadar is on the roll for the medal (WO 100/297 p265-69). Issued from the Punjab Command, Multan District.
This medal was noted as unclaimed (India Army Orders, 1909 p257).No clasps atributed.. A similar medal, from the same unit hammered in the same rooms last year for £200.
This is a new sighting of this medal for me & brings the total bronze medals logged to 231

There is an interesting Sadar Market in Multan whose discription follows.......
"Sadar Bazar Multan Cantt is the second most eminent market at time. Most luxurious and branded items are offered here where bargaining is not as much of as compared to Hussain Agahi Bazar and Chowk Bazar of Multan. Sadar bazaar Multan cant is positioned near Multan cant Chaoni and it marks second in Multan after Hussain Aghai bazaar which is the prime one. This bazaar holds premium products which are not obtainable someplace in Multan. A cream of the crop class environs this bazaar constantly. This bazaar is near in cant area so that it is the most attractive and spotless bazaar, and so this bazaar has no contest in Multan from other Bazars. Sadar bazaar Multan cant is a gigantic bazaar of Multan, holding about all the possessions of everyday use, therefore containing all sorts of shops like cloth houses, electronic shops, perfume shops and much more."
Address: Located on Sadar Bazar Road Cantt, Multan Pakistan"

Seems worth popping across.
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

The Indian Contingent 2 years 6 months ago #79319

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Definitely worth experiencing first hand!
Dr David Biggins

The Indian Contingent 2 years 6 months ago #79697

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The two Seedie QSAs sold this morning at DNW.

Amadi, Seedie., H.M.S. Forte, sold for a hammer price of £550. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £708. R13,900. Au$1,250. Can$1,150. US$920

Robearn, Seedie. H.M.S. Philomel, sold for a hammer price of £280. Totals (inc VAT for UK only): £361. R7,100. Au$640. Can$580. US$470
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.475 seconds