Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #58017

• David Grant
  • David Grant's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 350
I have found the India Medal roll for Khayoo in the Indian Archives. He did not serve on the Relief of Chitral Force as previously reported. His I.G.S. bears the clasps Punjab Frontier 1897-98, Samana 1897 & Tirah 1897-98. Unfortunately the site bombed out before I could take copies and will not let me back into the file. I mention this because I was also able to find " 591 Dooly Bearer Nucca Goorumoorthy", currently held by a member here.

The reference is "Rwf., 1897-98, Medal Roll of Certain Follower of the Comst. Transport Department Madras"
DEFENCE_B_1900_APR_2059-2061
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #58091

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4559
From the next Kaplan auction

A037
Bronze No bar: Dvr MAHOMED Ind. Pack Mule Train – bronze
VF
Dr David Biggins

The Indian Contingent 6 years 1 month ago #58097

• David Grant
M68 Driver Mahomed was present during the defence of Ladysmith with the Indian Pack Mule Train and later at Fort Napier. This medal was previously sold in Day's Postal Auction in 1973; in the postal auction through City Coins in 2008 & online by Bid or Buy 2016.

More here www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...n-contingent?start=6

Indian Transport Corps 6 years 1 month ago #58101

• Cris
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
David Grant I was very interested in your posts as I am trying to find records or an Indian who served in the Commissioniers Department for 5 years and also 18 months with the 7th Infantry Brigade and Supply Transport Corps in Africa at the Tirah Campaign and the siege of Ladysmith. He was awarded the Queens Sth Africa Medal. He was then in WWI with AIF but I have that record. Can you please tell me how to find these records as I am in Australia. Are they online? Regards Cris

Indian Transport Corps 6 years 1 month ago #58102

• David Grant
Hi Cris,
Do you have a name for me? I have the rolls You can search the rolls WO 100 297/8. The India Medal is more hit and miss - not all the rolls are available.
ATB
David

The Indian Contingent 6 years 4 days ago #58709

• David Grant
On page 11 of these notes I mentioned the Queen's Medal to Sowar (Sal)utri Hayat Khan of the 1st Bengal Lancers. With the recent loss of so many of my garrison from the Cape in London last week I decided to revisit the records of the stalwarts that remained.

For those who need a refresher. 1035 Sowar Salutri Hayat Khan, 1st Bengal Lancers, is on the QSA roll for the clasps Natal and Transvaal & also on the King's Medal roll for the two clasps. Fortunately for me he is also on the roll for "B Section No. 6 Field Veterinary Hospital" as a farrier for the clasp "Transvaal' From this I surmised that Hayat Khan served at the Remount Depot – Mooi River and then with B Section No. 6 Field Veterinary Hospital after the Siege of Ladysmith and Belfast. No other information known. Also important for the story is that there are no other "Hayat Khans on the roll. The other note for those unfamiliar with Indian Ranks is that a "Salutri" is a man especially selected in a cavalry regiment for his veterinary knowledge.

The 1919 Indian Army List has the following:-

I noted this but considered that it was unlikely that a sowar would be commissioned into an infantry regiment.

The body of the list has Jemadar Hayat Khan :-

The reference (65) refers to :-

There is no other Indian Infantry Officer who has the same qualification listed in any Indian Army List that I have.

Subadar Hayat Khan, 17th Infantry( The Loyal Regiment), late 1st Bengal Lancers also served also in "The war of 1914-18 - Operations in G. E. A. Operations. Operations in Egypt"
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.104 seconds