• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500

Fantastic! Many thanks George.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: LinneyI, Jon, azyeoman, Bicolboy59

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48133

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Interested Members
yes, I have just spotted the book in question on a favourite on-line site. $A150 or Stg.100 about.
I dug further, using my very limited skills. On a site called "Civil War Veterans in Australia", I found some details of 1025 Tpr. Edward Jennings, SALH. he served in the US CW in the Penn.Militia and later in the Penn. Light Artillery and arrived in Aust. in 1874. He worked as a seaman and "left his ship" at a port in South Africa and joined the SALH (reportedly as Sgt.). He was WiA as shown elsewhere. He served later in the ACH as L/Cpl. He returned to Aust. and was finally laid to rest at age 86 years in Cheltenham Cemetey, Adelaide, South Australia.
Didn't see him on a first glance in Murray. Will have a better look later tonight.
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, David Grant, Bicolboy59

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48136

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
IL once again!
L/Cpl E.Jennings is on the KSA roll of 2nd Bn, Australian Commonwealth Horse. The roll shows his service with SALH running from 28/11/99 to 19/03/1901 and his 2ACH service running from 15/3/02 to 31/5/02. In my previous post, I was remiss in not noting that his headstone in Cheltenham Cemetery was provided by the Veteran's Administration of the United States Government. This was a very interesting Gentleman. I understand that the US Government did not issue a medal for the Civil War/War between the States until many years after the event. I think I am on pretty safe ground in commenting that the first of Edward Jennings' medals is for a post-War attendance at an commemorative encampment of the Grand Army of the Republic.
Regards to all
IL.

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48141

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
In reference to the first of Jenning's Medals - It appears to be the Type V GAR Membership Medal. That Eagle design was approved at the 1886 Encampment in San Francisco, California. The US Flag Ribbon has been replaced later by the ribbon shown. The Eagle Device is the suspension apparently pinned on the replacement ribbon. Reference is " MEMBERSHIP AND NATIONAL ENCAMPMENT BADGES OF THE GAR 1866-1949 ". OMSA Monograph No. 11 by Johnson and Floyd, 1997.The second medal is also GAR but I have found no illustration to match as yet. It is NOT the 1886 San Francisco Medal.

Somewhere I have a list of US Civil War Veterans buried in Australia. When I dig it out I will check up on Jennings.

James/BP

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 7 years 7 months ago #48142

• Baden Powell
  • Thank you received: 34
Found It !
Lineup described it first. What I have is a 1991 list of names compiled by a Roy W. Parker, NSW. I recd it by post in the pre electronic days. The list shows Battery D, 1st PA Artillery and Co A, 33rd PA Militia.

James/BP

Unusual medal combinations that include a QSA 7 years 6 months ago #48765

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Photos will follow as soon as I get home.......

Found at the OMRS convention:

EAST AND WEST AFRICA - BENIN RIVER BAR 1894 and NO BAR QSA

E&W awarded to: A.E. REED, A.B., H.M.S.Philomel
QSA awarded to ; A.E. REED, A.B., H.M.S. Doris

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.534 seconds