Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Survivability of medals to the Canadian Scouts 11 years 10 months ago #3608

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Again Frank.....

Very nice badge..... One that I will have to look for.....

Looks as if it is a lot thicker than the badges that I have but it has the same fasteners/loops as mine do.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Survivability of medals to the Canadian Scouts 4 weeks 2 days ago #94770

• Ola
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi!

I found your post when googling Richard Samuel Rutter's name.

Richard is my husband's great grand-uncle (his brother William Adolphus Rutter is my husband's great grandfather) and I thought you might be interested in the little bit of information I have managed to find on him whilst researching the Rutter family tree.

Richard was the youngest son of William Rutter and Annie Ruth Morphett. I don't have much info on William, but the Morphett family are a very prominent family in South Australia after settling here from England. Annie Ruth's father, Richard, and his brother Jeremiah founded Clarendon in 1846, and Annie Ruth was born there in 1849.

There is a memorial to Richard Samuel attached to the family grave at Magill Cemetery which reads:

Richard Samuel
Youngest son of W & A Rutter
Died at South Africa
19 Aug 1906 aged 26 years

I have a photo of the grave, his death notice (which states he died of heart failure), and his medal information as per the Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls if you're interested. I tried attaching them but they exceeded the size limit allowed.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought you'd find the background info interesting. Oh, and he was affectionately known as Dick.

Cheers,
Ola
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.365 seconds