Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 1 week 3 days ago #95238

• Bicolboy59
  • Thank you received: 73
Thanks EVF,

I have been trying to establish how many are listed as escaped.
Going through the list of participants on this site, 1 of my men Trooper James Horsfield Dodge, is listed as "Missing in action - escaped" the reference quoted is Pitsani account under (Wodge).

Regards

Simon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 1 week 2 days ago #95243

• EFV
  • Thank you received: 376
Simon, the only (cursory) reference I could find relating to escapees of the invasion force was in Jean van der Poel’s 1951 book “The Jameson Raid.” It states on page 130:
…..Jameson and his officers were taken to Pretoria in carts and his men on horseback. That night they were all in goal and no one was allowed to communicate with them while they remained there. Their casualties had been 17 killed and 55 wounded. About 35 of the force were never officially accounted for. Some apparently deserted and others slipped through the Boer lines after the Krugersdorp fight and reached Johannesburg.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, Ians1900, Moranthorse1, Bicolboy59

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 1 week 2 days ago #95249

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 188
As I recall there is a published roll of all those who gathered at Pitsani and a comparison of those who were later killed or captured should provide a list of probable escapees.

I have a BSA Company medal awarded to one of the Cape Town “Dukes” who participated in the Raid. He was listed under his correct name of “Heinrich Pieter Möller” however his name was miraculously changed to “Henry Peter Miller” after his capture! As an “afrikaans” speaking youngster he had attended the prestigious english Boys’ school, Diocesan College (Bishops), during the early 1890’s and I guess that his old school colleagues, as there were a number of them who participated in the Raid, persuaded him that it might be better for him if the knowledge of his Dutch heritage was kept from their captors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rory, EFV, Ians1900, Bicolboy59

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 1 week 2 days ago #95250

• Bicolboy59

EFV wrote: Simon, the only (cursory) reference I could find relating to escapees of the invasion force was in Jean van der Poel’s 1951 book “The Jameson Raid.” It states on page 130:
…..Jameson and his officers were taken to Pretoria in carts and his men on horseback. That night they were all in goal and no one was allowed to communicate with them while they remained there. Their casualties had been 17 killed and 55 wounded. About 35 of the force were never officially accounted for. Some apparently deserted and others slipped through the Boer lines after the Krugersdorp fight and reached Johannesburg.

EFV, I am guessing that the fate of "those 35" in detail we may never know, suffice to say that "Deserted" is very much a relative term. I would doubt very much if any 1 of those 35 would have stuck their hand in the air if asked the question and admit to desertion!.
I am guessing not dissimilar to the events a few years later at Nicholson's Nek when the white flag was put up and some from the 10th MB,RGA decided not to surrender but make their way out of the debacle back to Ladysmith. Theoretically it was desertion as they disobeyed a lawful order from their Commanding Officer.

thank you for taking the time to look this up.

Regards

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: EFV

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 1 week 2 days ago #95251

• Bicolboy59

RobCT wrote: As I recall there is a published roll of all those who gathered at Pitsani and a comparison of those who were later killed or captured should provide a list of probable escapees.

I have a BSA Company medal awarded to one of the Cape Town “Dukes” who participated in the Raid. He was listed under his correct name of “Heinrich Pieter Möller” however his name was miraculously changed to “Henry Peter Miller” after his capture! As an “afrikaans” speaking youngster he had attended the prestigious english Boys’ school, Diocesan College (Bishops), during the early 1890’s and I guess that his old school colleagues, as there were a number of them who participated in the Raid, persuaded him that it might be better for him if the knowledge of his Dutch heritage was kept from their captors.

Thank you for that Rob,
My thinking would be that it would have been a difficult time for those born and bred in South Africa (especially if they had a Dutch name), and understandable if they wanted to avoid the Wrath of the Boers in the aftermath.

Regards

Simon
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobCT

A Jameson Raider - Charles E.H. Sutherland of Kitchener's Horse 1 week 2 days ago #95259

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 188
Hi there,

Following on from Rory’s reference to the Hinds Store.

I think every serious South African collector has an interest in the Jamieson Raid.

Some years ago I bought the following lot of 4 medals, swing mounted together and seemingly as originally worn.

Four – QSA bar: CC (438 Pte J. Hinds. Frontier M.R.); 1914/15 Star (R.S.M. W.J. Hinds Krugersdorp. Cdo.); BWM; AVM (Bil.) (1st C/W.O. W.J. Hinds. Krugersdorp Cdo.)

Note differing initials.

One of the reasons I purchased the group was because it came with a named postcard sized original officially issued survivor’s “Great War Service Certificate” from the Krugersdorp Municipality.

Although I have searched fairly extensively to research the group I am still puzzled as to whom the QSA was awarded.

The Trio was clearly awarded to William (Willy) Jennings Hinds who was born in June 1888/1889 (Archival and other reference dates vary). He was the eldest son of George William Hinds and Sarah Hannah Maude Jennings. Sarah was the daughter of James William Jennings and Mary Reiken. The Hinds and Jennings families were intermarried as well as being in business together and operated the shop which was scheduled as the last stop by the Jamieson Raiders on their way to Pretoria. The Jennings/Hinds family farm was named “Nooitgedacht”, bought by Sarah’s father William Jennings (the son of the famous hunter James Jennings or Jennens) where actions took place during both the Boer War as well as the Rebellion in 1914 – this was where Jopie Fourie was finally captured and later executed. (Is this the correct Nooigedacht farm?) As a young girl Sarah and her elder sister Clifford were taught by Sarah Heckford who later became well known as the Lady Trader of the Transvaal. Family histories record that the two young girls were sitting on the stoep at the shop when the Jamieson Raiders first arrived.

William followed in his father footsteps and is recorded as having attended school at St Andrews College in Grahamstown before leaving in September 1907. He was a Farmer in the Districts of Krugersdorp and Rustenburg until 1929 whereafter he moved to farm at Brooklyn Farm on the Kei River Mouth in the Cape Province. The published records of St Andrews College in Grahamstown record that he served as a Sergeant Major during the Great War. The single card reference detailing his military service during the Great War records his Next of Kin as Mrs E.E. Hinds and his address as P.O. Heckpoort.

I just wish I could determine to whom the QSA named Pte J. Hinds. Frontier M.R. was awarded. The medal was unlikely to have been an incorrectly named medal awarded to his father and I find it difficult to believe that it was awarded to William James who was still a young boy (about 11 or 12) during the ABW.

An assistance or comment from Forum members would be most helpful.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.930 seconds