Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

William Harold Grant Doo - A Postman Goes To War 7 years 9 months ago #47611

• QSAMIKE
  • QSAMIKE's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Everyone......

I was saving this for my 3000 Post but since there is something coming soon that in a way is more exciting I thought I would post this now.....

Rory you have nothing to worry about..... LOL

Mike

DOO

WILLIAM HAROLD GRANT

1st KING'S DRAGOON GUARDS
4266 – PRIVATE

SOUTH AFRICA

ROYAL ENGINEERS – POSTAL SECTION
PIONEER
59069 – 39069 – A335

EGYPT
19-11-1915 to 04-05-1919

Born – Bow (Tower Hamlets), 2nd March 1881

First Son but third child of: William Nathanial Doo (1855-1918) and Celia Eliza Frances Grant/Doo (1857-1901)

The family was living at Number 6 Trellis Street Bow(Tower Hamlets) at the time of the 1881 census showing Father – William Nathanial Doo, 35 his Mother – Celia Eliza Frances Doo, 34. Their first born daughter Celia, 2, second born daughter Eliza, 1, and son William Harold Grant Doo, 1 month.

In the 1891 census they had moved to 32 Dumont Street Hackney. The fathers employment was listed as Boot and Shoe Buyer. The family had increased by three, Bertie, 7, Winifred, 5, and George, 2.

William's first record of service is a Pension Record, dated 18th August 1898 when he enlisted at Colchester, as Regimental Number 4266 in the 1st King's Dragoon Guards. His medical on the next day 19th of August found that he was fit, 5 Foot 7 Inches and weighed 160 Pounds. His age was stated as 18 Years and 4 Months. He was not living in his Father's house but at his place of employment and the household of William Haghanigh where he was employed as a Barman.

His statement of service has him posted as a Private 19.08.1898 and he was granted 1d in Good Conduct Pay . He however forfeits his GCP when he was found asleep while on sentry duty in South Africa on 08.03.01 after an inquiry on 18.03.01. He must have kept his nose clean as his GCP was restored 18.04.02.

He served in South Africa between 18.01.01 and 08.10.02 the remainder of his service was classified as Home. According to his documents he suffered no wounds or injuries while in South Africa or while he was in the service.

William Harold Grant Doo was discharged as Unfit for further service on 24.01.03 but there is no specific reason given. My guess it may have been alcohol.

In July 1907 he married Emma Lena Meihkle (1882-1950) in Essex. The 1911 census shows him as being 30 years of age and Emma as 28. They were living at 96 Queen's Road, Hoe Street, Walthamstow, North East London, Essex. With an occupation of Postal Porter and Army Pensioner. Since he was discharged as Unfit, how could he draw a pension.???

In the 4 years of marriage he had 3 sons, William Arthur Grant (3), George Reginald Francis (1) and Bertie Frederick Charles (1 month).

William's position / occupation was with the General Post Office in the West Central District Office.

During World War One he again enlists 19.11.15 as a Pioneer with the Royal Engineers, Regimental Number 3969. They must have sent him overseas immediately as he earned the 1915 Star. He spent his entire service 4 years in Egypt till his discharge to Class “Z” Reserves 04.05.1919.

He returned to the Post Office and was awarded the Imperial Service Medal as per the London Gazette 11.11.1941.

He died in Walthamstow, Essex in 1958 at the age of 77.

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brett Hendey, David Grant, Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Harold Grant Doo - A Postman Goes To War 7 years 9 months ago #47612

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2151
Very nice Mike and well presented - I think I should worry! ;)

You are certainly amassing a number of quality medals for us to enjoy - keep posting!

Regards

Rory

William Harold Grant Doo - A Postman Goes To War 7 years 9 months ago #47613

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
WO372 confirms the date of the 19th of November 1915 was actually the date of his entry into theatre number three, so the date of qualification for his 1914-15 Star, even the War Office did not have the logistical capability to enlist a man and deploy him into the field on the same day, Doo had already enlisted on the 17th of August 1915 for three years, interestingly, whilst WO372 suggests his rank was Pioneer WO363 suggests it was Sapper.

QSAMIKE wrote:
During World War One he again enlists 19.11.15 as a Pioneer with the Royal Engineers, Regimental Number 3969. They must have sent him overseas immediately as he earned the 1915 Star. He spent his entire service 4 years in Egypt till his discharge to Class “Z” Reserves 04.05.1919.

William Harold Grant Doo - A Postman Goes To War 7 years 9 months ago #47614

• QSAMIKE
Thank you Rory and Frank.....

I do not have access to the documents that you state so I was only going by some research that had been done and provided to me by the seller......

When they say date of entry into theater is it the date they leave England or when they have boots on ground in location.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

William Harold Grant Doo - A Postman Goes To War 7 years 9 months ago #47615

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It can sometimes be taken as the date of embarkation, but, that, in itself can prove incorrect, but, clearly not possible to enlist and deploy on actual foreign service on the same day, notwithstanding, a very nice group. I always like to see them untouched, as worn by a particular recipient on their original ribbon, I should be very pleased with those if I were you.
You mention something more exciting in the original post though, so "more" exciting than what you have posted in this thread? :ohmy:
Is that possible? :unsure:

William Harold Grant Doo - A Postman Goes To War 7 years 9 months ago #47640

• QSAMIKE

Frank Kelley wrote: It can sometimes be taken as the date of embarkation, but, that, in itself can prove incorrect, but, clearly not possible to enlist and deploy on actual foreign service on the same day, notwithstanding, a very nice group. I always like to see them untouched, as worn by a particular recipient on their original ribbon, I should be very pleased with those if I were you.
You mention something more exciting in the original post though, so "more" exciting than what you have posted in this thread? :ohmy:
Is that possible? :unsure:

Good Morning Frank.......

Well let me put it this way it is a pair that in my opinion will be more exciting for me as a Canadian QSA collector......
As soon as the pair arrives I will post them........

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
O.M.R.S. 1591

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.685 seconds