Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47762

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2141
Hi Phil

Sadly the only reference to his NC service is what you see in the first few lines of what i sent you. That information comes from Izabel and is from the regimental muster rolls.

There is no other source.

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47763

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Ah - righto then, thanks Rory. Obviously Bourk was an interesting character. I managed to get in touch with the family, but I think I knew more about their man than they did! Nice to fill in a few gaps for them though. I've been wanting an MM to a NZ Boer War chap for a while now. Whilst this is not NZ Mounted Rifles QSA group, it's just as good, if not better, given his adventures. Takes me a lot of self-control to 'keep my powder dry' for the day when good stuff pops up.

Cheers
Phil

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47766

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
It is certainly interesting to speculate upon the Natal Carbineers, as members of the Colonies Volunteers and Militia would certainly have had to formally attest in a similar manner to the Militia here in Great Britain, but, as the Colony was self governing and really rather poor, one does wonder what happened to their papers.
They are certainly not here to the very best of my knowledge, of course, on occasion, it is possible to buy medals for the Anglo Boer War to member of the regiment, but, who had also served in the SAMIF, such as the Colonial Scouts for example, so you do end up with papers, such as they are, other than that, it often remains a case of having to rely upon a particular individuals biographical details, which in themselves can often be rather brief and rather disappointing.
Notwithstanding, still a really superb regiment and a very famous one too, although, I have always felt, it did seek out a very particular brand of attention, certainly in the press, where as their colleagues in the other regiments and corps that made up their Colonies Militia, certainly did not.

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47778

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Nice group Phil - guess you have seen this: forums.gunboards.com/archive/index.php/t-104225.html
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 7 months ago #48203

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi SWB,

Yes, I had seen that. I contacted Dave George in Australia - a chap some of you may know from his 'Carvings from the Veldt' series of books on carved rifles - and he sent me a piccy. The carving is a bit crude, but great to have an image of.

I'd like to get a generic photo of the Natal Carbineers in 1906 - just a representative photo of the time for Bourk's biography. Are there any sources I should hunt out?

Cheers
Phil
Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.456 seconds