Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 11 months ago #46741

• Adrian123456
  • Adrian123456's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Forum

I recently obtained this medal trio to S.S.M. A ( Andrew?) Swan, Natal Carbineers.

Could any members help me identify him better, perhaps a photo out there ?
And any other relevant info would help.
(Note the SA 1901 Clasp is sewn onto the LSGC medal ribbon.)

Regards

Adrian

99 Staff Sergeant A Swan, Natal Carbineers

QSA 99 SERJT A. SWAN NATAL CARBNRS Clasps: DoL, Tvl, Laing’s Nek
Natal 1906 Rebellion S.S.M. A. SWAN, NATAL CARBINEES Clasp 1906
For Long Service in the Colonial Auxiliary Forces STAFF SGT A SWAN N.C.
Mentioned to His Majesty the King for good service in the Field 1906
Boer War Served from 29 Sept 1899 until 31 May 1902

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47733

• izabel
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
Natal Carbineers Record
SWAN Andrew, Sergeant 99. On strength : 27/8/1890, L sqn. Occupation: Carpenter, Newcastle
Promotion: Corporal, Sergeant 1/6/1900, SSM 13/4/1903, Left Wing Staff Sergeant 2/12/1907
Service: Boer War and Siege of Ladysmith 2/9/1899-9/10/1900, 1/9/1901-16/10/1901. QSA: Bars: South
Africa 1901 (On Long Service Medal), Laing's Nek, Transvaal, Defence Of Ladysmith,
1906 Rebellion 9/2/1906-31/3/1906, 17/4/1906-3/8/1906, 1/12/1907-24/12/1907. Awarded medal and clasp
Awarded Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service Medal December 1910
Off strength: 7/4/1911
Mentioned in Despatches

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47736

• Adrian123456
  • Adrian123456's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 245
Hi Izabel

Thanks for the info.
Here is a photo of Swan. (In 3rd Row Centre with hands on man in front From Natal Carbineers, by Stalker, page 297)

Regards
Adrian

Attachments:

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47758

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Adrian and Izabel,

Sorry to 'hijack' your thread Adrian, but both you and Izabel seem to have great information on the Natal Carbineers - a unit I know little about here in New Zealand. I have just obtained this group to a New Zealand-born chap, William Bourk.

He served with the Natal Carbineers in 1906 (As W E Bourk according to the roll and medal). Can either of you provide any further information on his service with the NC during this time?

I do have a photo of him, but not in uniform - would he appear in the book your man Swan does Adrian? By the way, that's a cracking group you have there Adrian, really nice - love the old ribbon!

Cheers
Phil
Attachments:

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47760

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2142
Hi Phil

Will this do?

BOURK W.E. Trooper.
1906 Rebellion. Awarded Medal with Clasp
QSA clasps Trans, SA01, SA02, KFS 1802 Tpr
Natal clasp 1906, Natal Carbineers Tpr
MM, 5/182A Dvr M.T.N.Z.A.S.C.
1914/15 Trio N.Z.E.F.Dvr
Thames Star 6 March 1911 “Soldier of Fortune”
Mr W.Bourk Fritzartha, who is described as a young New Zealander, arrived in London during January, after spending some time with rebel forces in Mexico. He may be described as a soldier of fortune. He went to South Africa, he states with the New Zealand contingents and took part in the Boer War. Then he assisted the Natal Carbineers during the native trouble, and served with Germans in West Africa throughout the campaign against the Herreros. He reached London early last year and made his way to New York, where he heard that there was a possible opening in Mexico for a man who was adept in guerrilla warfare. He ascertained that Senor Madero was at New Orleans, and soon obtained employment from the rebel leader
“All the big fighting was taking place in the northern provinces” he told a Daily Chronicle Reporter. “I made plans to capture El Paso, which is some way over the border, and took two hundred men with me. They were a queer crowd, and half of them were Texans. But they were quite willing to follow anyone who they thought knew something about fighting. We took the place pretty easily--for the Federals didn’t put up much of a show—on December 14.” A few days later Mr Fritzartha was surrounded while asleep and captured by Federal troops. The officer in command decided to send him to Mexico City to stand trial. The prisoner managed to escape two days later, and made his way as quickly as possible across the border

WITH REBELS IN MEXICO. LONDON, January 20. Mr W. Bourk Fritzartha, said to be a young New Zealunder, has just retui-ned to London after a brief campaign with the rebel forces in Mexico. Mr Fritzartha informed a newspaper representative that he went to fctouth Airica with ' the New Zealand forces, and served through- the Boer war ; took part with the Natal Carbineers in the native troubles, and afterwards assisted the Germans as a special scout against . the Herreros. " / : He then journeyed to New Orleans and met' Senor Madero, the would-be President of Mexico. ■ Plans were . made to capture a town willed Mil Paso, some few miles over the Texan border. The New Zealander had 200 men with him, half, of them being Texan's. The Federals did not put up much of a show, and the place was easily taken. Mr Fritzartha then says : — ' '' . "After that I left the town to dd a bit of scouting on my own account. And when I was asleep one morning I was surronnded'7-.und captured. 1 hadn't as much as a pocket-knife on me, for my horse -and gear were some distance away. They, decided to send me. off to Mexico City to stand my trial. As a rule the Federal, troops, who are recruited from tho gaols, dont' take prisoners, or if .they do they shoot them as soon as possible. '.Probably I owe my escape" to the fact that I wasn't armed, and after they had got me I made myself as, pleasant as possible. Of course I was looking for an opportunity to escape, and I got it two days later. . They had pul me on my pony, and in place of stirrup irons had tied my ankles together under the pony. Then- they went to finish their coffee before saddling their horses. They were about 20 yards away when I saw my opportunity, and dut? my heels into the fony and smacked her on the nose. I ad a couple of hundred yards start before they got to their rifles. "They are armed with, obsolete rifles, and their shooting is very poor, and it is the hardest thing in "the world to hit a man on horseback. I was a mile away before they were mounted, and I saw nothing more of them. I managed to slip over the pony's head and undo the cord round my legs, and with this I mode a kind of bridle. I suppose it was about 70 miles from the border, but by means of 'borrowing* horses when I wanted them, I had no difficulty in covering the distance. I had had enouqh of Mexico, for the present, at any rate. So I beat it down to New Orleans, and then across to. Cuba and back to New York.'.'— N.Z. Herald.

Regards

Rory

A Swan, Natal Carbineers 7 years 8 months ago #47761

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi Rory,

Thanks, I'm aware of these newspaper reports - it's his service in the Natal Carbineers I'm trying to nail down if possible.

Cheers
Phil

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.598 seconds