Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Alf Goulding of the South African Constabulary 8 years 1 month ago #45163

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2120
I very early on in my collecting life developed a liking for medals to S.A.C. recipients. This was because of the availability of their personal files coupled with the fact that the information is close to hand. Goulding was a recent chance buy.

Alfred Percival Goulding

3rd Class Trooper, South African Constabulary – Anglo Boer War

- Queens South Africa Medal with clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal to 433 3rd Cl. Tpr. A.P. Goulding, S.A.C.

Alf Goulding was born in the town of Ross in Herefordshire on 10 March 1878 the son of William Henry Goulding, a Licenced Victualler and his wife Mary Julia.

Resident at the “Barrell Inn” in Brookend Street the family were, according to the 1881 England census, quite numerous with Alfred’s siblings William (10), Florence (7), Walter Edgar (5) and baby Francis making up the numbers.

The 1891 England census painted a similar picture but, just to muddy the waters, Alfred appears as a 13 year old with his names reversed – he is now known as “Percival Alfred”. Mr Goulding was still a Brewer and Inn Keeper. With a servant girl, Lucy Bramble, in attendance the family were quite prosperous.

At the age of 16 and, it can be imagined, having finished the rudimentary schooling chaps of his class in life were subjected to, Goulding sought employment as a Lad Porter on the Railways and was in service from August 1893 at Quakers Yard Station. This was of an all too short duration as his services terminated in November of that same year.

In October 1899 the Anglo Boer War erupted onto the world stage and, despite predictions that it would all be over by Christmas of that year, it raged on. In early 1901 a call was made to assemble a police force which would, aside from its obvious policing duties, be able to assist the regular army in fighting the Boers thereby hastening their surrender and ending the war. In total almost 10 000 men were recruited from across the Commonwealth.

Goulding was to be one of these – on 5 February 1901 he completed the Application Forms to join what was known as the South African Constabulary. Among the details he provided was that he was 22 years of age, lived at 3 Brookend Street in Ross and was physically 5 feet 7 inches in height weighed 11 stone and had a chest of 38 inches. He had sandy coloured complexion, grey eyes and dark brown hair.

Required, as were all candidates, to provide referees he gave the names of Captain Verchoyley, J.P. and Mr William Hill, J.P. By trade he claimed to be a Butcher and he confirmed that he had done 3 years with the Volunteers (1st Volunteer Battalion, Hereford Regiment). Dr Richards in confirming his Fit for the S.A.C. stated that “his family history is well known to me”

Having been examined Goulding was found to be a Fair rider and a Good shot. With this he was appointed as a 3rd Class Trooper with no. 433 signing the Articles of Agreement on11 February 1901 and the Attestation Paper on 1 April with service of 3 years too commence from 17 March where after he was promised a free passage home should he desire it.

Goulding then set sail for South Africa and the war and, on arrival, was posted to the Eastern Division, based in the Transvaal as part of No. 1 Troop. His service was not without incident – on 12 March 1902 he was charged with Drunkenness at Roodebank and, having pleaded Not Guilty was found Guilty and sentenced to a fine of £1.

On 2 April 1903 in the Komatipoort area (Barberton District) of the Eastern Transvaal he was found to have been “Drunk and Unfit for Duty” on the Troop Daily Sick Report. This had consequences for him and a Memorandum dated 10 April 1903 to the Staff Officer “C” Division read as follows:
“Crime Sheet and copy of record of conduct of No. C433 3rd Class Trooper Goulding together with statement by Sergeant Harris is attached. Sergt. Harris and Medical Corporal Boswell are stationed at Komatipoort and having due regard to the public service it would not be advisable to bring them in here for the purposes of the summary of evidence.”

The proceedings against Goulding read as follows,

“1st Evidence

The statement by Sergt. Harris N.C.O in charge at Komatipoort is read and attached. The prisoner does not wish to ask any questions on above evidence. The prisoner declines to say anything in his defence. The prisoner has no witnesses to call in his defence.”

Sergt. Harris’ statement mentioned above read thus,

“To District Commandant

Sir

On the 2 April 1903 about 2.30 p.m. I warned C433 3/C Tpr. Goulding to take names of all Asiatics west of railway line, which duty he did not perform. At 5.30 p.m. he was seen by Med. Cpl. Boswell in Messrs. Clark & Dyer Stores trying to perform that duty.

Med. Corp. reported to me and I immediately sent 3/c Tpr. Stilwell to bring him to camp. I then found he was drunk and had not performed his duty. So I made him a prisoner for being drunk on duty, but he said he was not drunk but very sick.

Med. Corp. Boswell then sent for the District Surgeon who signed his sick report that the prisoner was drunk and unfit for duty.”

The upshot of all this was a £1 fine for Goulding.

Whether or not this led to Goulding’s decision to purchase his discharge from the S.A.C. soon after is unknown but, on 19 June 1903 Captain Slater wrote to the Staff Officer from Carolina in the Transvaal stating that;

“This man contracted fever while in Barberton District and has been unable to do any duty since his return from there. He is at present in Hospital. He has received letter from home to the effect that his father is ill and he now wishes to return home. Can this man obtain his discharge please?”

What followed next was a request for a medical examination to determine Goulding’s state of health and “fitness for further service” – also “any applications for discharge for family reasons have to be supported by a certificate from a magistrate corroborating the statement.”

This was duly obtained and Dr Barton reported that,

“I have examined Tpr. Goulding with a view to reporting as to his fitness for further service. I believe him to be subject to Malaria and that the disease is so thoroughly emplanted in his system that he is no longer fit for service in this country except in certain localities.”

The outcome of all of this was that Goulding was sent into Heidelberg Hospital to appear before an invaliding Board of and, after 2 years and 168 days service was discharged for family reasons and for “physical disability caused by service in the Force”

For his efforts in the Boer War he was awarded the Queens Medal with clasps.

Goulding now made use of the free passage home promised him sailing for London aboard the “Runic” and arriving in the United Kingdom on 14 November 1903. He described himself as a Butcher on the ships manifest.

In 1909 he married Agnes Edith and, according to the 1911 Wales census, was living at 6 Church Street, Tredegar in Monmouthshire where he was employed as a below-ground Timberman in a Colliery. He passed away in the same area in 1931 at the age of 53.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.639 seconds