Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

QSA to the Loyal North Lancashire Mounted Infantry 8 years 6 months ago #43608

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2142
I have a single (Cape Colony) clasp QSA to 4682 Pte. William Hyde of the above outfit. The medal is named to the M.I. and the single clasp confirmed on his papers. He was in South Africa from February 1899 until 17 April 1900.

I don't have access to the medal roll and there might well be an entry there which would explain why he, as a member of the Mounted Infantry, would not have qualified for the more illustrious clasps associated with this crowd.

Any suggestions?

Regards

Rory

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA to the Loyal North Lancashire Mounted Infantry 8 years 6 months ago #43614

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451
Hello Rory

Sorry, only remark on the medal roll is that he was invalided. On the same page two other men get the CC clasp, so it maybe a section was kept back, but for what reason I don't know.

Your question is typically answered by a regimental history.

Regards
Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

QSA to the Loyal North Lancashire Mounted Infantry 8 years 5 months ago #43683

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Most infantry battalions developed their own particular MI companies as the war advanced, with the result that many volunteer companies had to replace those men serving with their battalions particular company.
It should be remembered that WO97 does not go into any real detail regarding the former and there were many reasons why a particular soldier got a particular clasp, it all depended on his duties and when he actually joined his battalions own MI, for example, if he was fit for duty, he might have actually been part of their Headquarters, he could have simply been "unfit to march" although not in hospital, he could certainly have been detached for other particular duties, both, within and without his company, whilst remaining a member of his battalion.
I really don't think it matters greatly, as long as the medal is correct, you have a clear choice on whether or not to buy it and you could always replace it in due course with another example with the western front battle clasps in the future if you wish, notwithstanding, still a good medal named to their battalions MI, if I collected to the Loyal North Lancashire (I do know a couple of very keen collectors who do!) I have to say that I'd actually be quite pleased with it.

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.378 seconds