Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Clasp Query 8 years 6 months ago #42803

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Rory,
I think I should add that I think Downie's medal is superb and certainly not something I ever see very often here, but, sadly that is the norm with all Natal Volunteers and Militia, it important to remember that this particular Colonies government did not have access to huge sums of money!
Kind regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Clasp Query 8 years 6 months ago #42805

• Rory
  • Rory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2121
I can't speak to the NC man being at the front or not Frank. Where would the front have been in early 1902? Natal was no longer a theatre of war and the NC had been all but disbanded living on only in the NVCR to which this chap did not belong.

Downie's entry about the N.M.I threw me about but I can't find previous service.

Here are his medals - the 1906 is to the DLI as well in the rank of Corporal.

Regards

Rory
Attachments:

Clasp Query 8 years 6 months ago #42806

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Rory,
Those are really superb, I like them very much, the Volunteers and Militia who were actually called out for duty in 1902 in the Colony itself simply defended it's border, those men included the Natal Mounted Infantry, clearly Downie was on duty and being paid, again, a really super pair.
Regards Frank

Clasp Query 8 years 6 months ago #42818

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 716
Rory
The men who joined the Natal Police after the end of the Natal Campaign were awarded the QSA with two date clasps. They were not on active service in the Transvaal, so did not get that clasp either. The really strange thing about these medals is that no other members of the NP were awarded the SA 1902 clasp, so the most common clasp combination for the NP is Natal and SA 1901. Since these men mostly served in 1902 as well, they no doubt felt aggrieved that only the newbies got both date clasps.
I often imagine that the men in London who sorted out clasp entitlements must have cursed the Colonials, who often didn't do things in the orderly Imperial way.
Regards
Brett

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.377 seconds